Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,903   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Having a hard time deciding

Currently I shoot film with a Fuji GA645 and love it. Fantastic camera that suits my daily needs. Trying to expand going forward I have a few holes I want filled. One, I want a wider angle lens. Two I want a larger negative size. Three, I want manual focus. All the while staying small with a rangefinder.

One camera does everything, the Mamiya 7. Since this can accept different lenses, I can satisfy all the goals in one shot. I have already found and priced a Mamiya 7 w/43mm lens (and finder) and 80mm. Price, around $2200.

The complicating factory is that I just LOOOVE the Fujifilm GF670 and want one bad. This gives me my larger negative, but not the wide angle. So I thought perhaps the GF670 coupled with a GA645Wi. That should be doable around $2200 or so.

My head tells me the Mamiya is the way to go. But I Just love Fuji cameras.

Any advice?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is a wide version of the GF sold as the Voigtlander 670w.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry H-L View Post
    There is a wide version of the GF sold as the Voigtlander 670w.
    Yes, I saw that. That is easily found here in China. The problem there is the cost. It is amazingly expensive. Over 3 thousand dollars in price. There are many of these models that I can see in the stores. But it appears no one buys them. I've eyed this camera for nearly 2 years since finding it and they are all still there! I dont think there is anyway around it, these cameras are dramatically overpriced.

I saw an open boxed GF670W in Japan last week. That was priced much lower at $2700, but still far too expensive for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you'll give up on the RF, there are viewfinder cameras that will do what you want. Alpa 12, for example. Nothing personal, but you can't afford one.

If you'll give up on the RF and focusing helical and can live with focusing on the ground glass, you can use a Century or 2x3 Crown Graphic to shoot 6x7 or 6x9 with a variety of lenses. 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon. 47 Super Angulon, f/5.6 or f/8. There are longer lenses too.

Look at your budget, look at what you want to accomplish, and consider relaxing your requirements.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Stick with what your head is telling you. The Mamiya is a great camera. The interchangeable lenses make it outstanding for travel, street and landscapes when compared with the fixed lens alternatives. The fuji seems like a good camera, but it really isn't much smaller than the Mamiya. When you add in the portability of multiple lenses, the Mamiya wins hands down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If you'll give up on the RF, there are viewfinder cameras that will do what you want. Alpa 12, for example. Nothing personal, but you can't afford one.

If you'll give up on the RF and focusing helical and can live with focusing on the ground glass, you can use a Century or 2x3 Crown Graphic to shoot 6x7 or 6x9 with a variety of lenses. 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon. 47 Super Angulon, f/5.6 or f/8. There are longer lenses too.

Look at your budget, look at what you want to accomplish, and consider relaxing your requirements.
    Nope. Has to be a rangefinder. I travel all over the world and rangefinders travel easy. That's a huge requirement for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I travel all over the world and rangefinders travel easy.
    until they get knocked out of alignment and you don't know until you start processing your film
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    until they get knocked out of alignment and you don't know until you start processing your film
    Well, something can go wrong with any piece of gear. If not a rangefinder problem, a CCD on my digital camera can break down or whatever.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What about the Bronica 645 rangefinder?

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm almost in the same boat. I went with my heart and decided on the GF670. I know I will manage with the 80mm, wide lenses are not vital to me. I was also enormously attracted to the form factor and design of the Fuji. I prefer to travel light and the fact that it weighs only a kilogram and folds down to the size of a large book was appealing. Did I mention that it looks awesome?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin