Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,689   Online: 1178

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya Quick-shoe model 2, tripod mount

Greetings, have just joined the forum.

Recently brought my first medium format camera (RB67) and found this quick-shoe 2 tripod release in box. Two hassles

1. Worked out how to get the 3/8" screw off the bottom of the plate, and attached that and the top part of quick release to base of camera, where it fits snuggly. Bottom half clicks on to this, slides in and out, and locks neatly.

2. The tripod that came with the camera doesn't seem to fit this quick release plate. The quick release plate has a black knob on the bottom which moves in and out with the LOCK lever. Knob is circular, and exactly 40mm (1.572") in diameter

Question. Any thoughts as to which type and model of tripod this fits - Did Mamiya make it's own tripod etc. Can't seem to find a manual, so hard to fathom out

Any help greatly appreciated

Peter Elliott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Manfrotto (Bogen?) makes quick release plates in at least three or four different formats. The most common ones are hexagonal and rectangular. You have to get a tripod head that is specific to that format. There are other quick release type plates too, AFAIK there are Arca types etc. If you post a picture, it will be easier to see what is going on with your setup.

With an RB, you might want to invest in a good tripod and head, as the camera with a lens attached and bellows extended is going to be heavy and wobbly on a flimsy rig. It is the one piece of essential equipment that far too few photographers properly invest in, and it has a greater impact on image quality than going from a mediocre to a great lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dorff

Thanks for that quick reply. I'll do a little more searching and have a good look at the Manfrotto site, and the Arca site. I agree with you about solid tripods with an RB67. Even though I have the original Mamiya Quick release 2 plate etc., I may be better off getting a totally new working tripod

I'll get a picture of my old plate up in this forum

Regards Peter Elliott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might guess that the round knob is actually intended to replace the threaded knob on a tripod head.

It may actually not be part of the Quick-shoe, but a part of another tripod instead.

The diagrams I have seen of the Quick-shoe 2 don't show any such knob, but then they dont show more than on outline of the item - they can be found on various "system" brochures, and the manual for the original RB67 Pro.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin