Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,268   Online: 775

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanity Check

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    Just sold my MPP Micro Technical..... he
    Aiii I hate you
    No breathe now. I gotta stay calm and save for the Chamonix

To OP. May I ask why you are downsizing? Why not stay in 4X5? 4X5" cameras need not be big and heavy.

Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just see 4x5 and MF as two completely different worlds (with the Fuji MF system that has movements being a strange & "wish I owned that" hybrid).

I just don't think you can "replace" one for the other; the process, gear, and results being markedly different.

Not saying "don't do it", just keep in mind that if downsizing is the deciding factor, be prepared for a very big change in how you make your art (or enjoy your hobby or produce your client work). My 4x5 gear all fits in one case (that hasn't been opened in a few years to be honest) so this doesn't have to be an "either-or" deal unless money is the major deciding factor. And even if budget is driving your decision, you could likely find a used RB, 645, Rollei or even a Kiev and shoot a few rolls to get a feel for the process & the results.

I'd vote for trying to have both systems available to you, at least for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everyone is talking about how LF cameras doesnt need to be bigger than MF ones, but the enlargers. Those are big, and you need even more space if you want to make big enlargements.

Søren: Woops! 2500 kr,-
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    I and my wife are downsizing and I am looking to switch from LF (4X5, 5X7) and get into a hasselblad system: will I be happy?
    Yes. If you're exactly like me and don't like using sheet film. If you love using sheet film, you may regret it. I have never missed the extra print quality I got from 4x5 in enlargements from 120 film (or 35mm for that matter). That may not apply to you, if you're really into the ultimate print quality.
    The Hasselblad and I get along really well. It's quick enough to set up that I can be responsive to quickly changing conditions, even react on intuition when I hand hold it. It's very easy and accurate to focus, and the lenses are superb. If you maintain your camera they are mechanically very good and reliable. It's a camera that really gels with how I photograph.

Good luck with your choice. I think only you can answer your question, since we're all different.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for the sound and thoughtful advice
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can live without movements the hasselblad kit is a very versatile kit. But when you want movements, Only a camera with movements will do. Thats why i'm moving back into 4x5. The depth of field I want can only be done with a camera with movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    Everyone is talking about how LF cameras doesnt need to be bigger than MF ones, but the enlargers. Those are big, and you need even more space if you want to make big enlargements.

Søren: Woops! 2500 kr,-
    If he already has a 4x5 enlarger he's probably not going to downsize it to a medium format one. I wouldn't even if I gave up 4x5. The big 4x5 enlarger is more stable and you can always go back to 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    If he already has a 4x5 enlarger he's probably not going to downsize it to a medium format one. I wouldn't even if I gave up 4x5. The big 4x5 enlarger is more stable and you can always go back to 4x5.
    Me too. You will still have all of those 4x5 and 5x7 negatives, and what's the point unless you can print them? (or, maybe OP uses 'different' methods of printing).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, if you find you're missing movements, and you get into the Hasselblad system, there's always the Arcbody and the Flexbody to give you some degree (not nearly what you had with your 4x5, but still) of movement. They're not cheap, and they're not quite as straightforward as a 4x5, but they'll get you in the ballpark.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd suggest just putting away your LF gear for a while, and taking a break to see how you like being away from it. That way you won't regret it if you do want to keep at it. Plus, times change and you may find yourself wanting to go back later. Keeping what you can spare room for means fewer purchases and less money spent.

At least for me, working with my 4x5 film in the dark is relaxing, and it gives me an excuse to get away without leaving!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin