Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,211   Online: 824

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Cash in on my old 120 spools?

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    convert them into 35mm adapters and you'll find people paying you big bucks for them.
    Oh gosh it's surprisingly annoying to do if you don't have a small band saw to make the cuts for you quickly. It's a pain to do by hand. Plus I think only fuji ones fit nicely with just the excess cut away.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I donated about 200 of them to a local primary school to use as art materials. They get glued together into monstrous structures!

Shooter
    35mm
    Can't see much demand for 120 spools...are they actually selling? 620 and 127 I can understand, as these are obviously obsolete but reloadable with either 120 or cut-to-size film respectively. (I'm keeping the 620 and 127 which I have, but have so far been putting spare 120's in the plastic recycling bin!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I hate to think of all the junque I threw away over the years that now command big bucks.
    A couple of decades ago we bought a house that had a whole fence line and two large beds planted in prickly pair cactus! Even knowing that all you have to do is stick a pod of that stuff in dirt and it will root, be plentiful and multiply; we still cut it all down and threw it away.

Not two weeks after completing that painful (literally) task, we were in a nursery and saw what new cactus plants sold for. We probably threw away $10,000 worth of cactus ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    A couple of decades ago we bought a house that had a whole fence line and two large beds planted in prickly pair cactus! Even knowing that all you have to do is stick a pod of that stuff in dirt and it will root, be plentiful and multiply; we still cut it all down and threw it away.

Not two weeks after completing that painful (literally) task, we were in a nursery and saw what new cactus plants sold for. We probably threw away $10,000 worth of cactus ...
    Not to mention the fruit, the pulp of which can be used to make a tasty margarita.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

They're taking the spools out

Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    620 spools are worth money?

i have a whole jar full. what do they bring? ok, ebay has them for around $5 each, on average.

woopie do. Those folks DO realize every old 620 camera has one in it, right?
    They don't all have a spool in them anymore. People are figuring out that buyers want the spool more than the camera, and the spool alone is cheaper to ship. The same thing happened to pre-war typewriters when crafters started chopping the glass keytops for jewlery. I've bought three 620 cameras on ebay in the last year, and only one of them came with a spool inside.
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heterolysis View Post
    Someone buy a 3D printer and start making your own spools of all sizes.
    That's a good idea. Two buddies of mine just ordered one. muhahahahaha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand why some people are hot to trot on those 120 spools...

Not so long ago I stumbled upon an article on modifying your 35mm film for use in...
    You guessed it... Holga Cameras.

You use the paper backing from a roll of 120 to tape the end of a roll of 35mm film.
    The film is turned with the emulsion side to the backing such that the exposure is made THROUGH the backside
    of the 35mm film... requires extra 2 or 3 fstops exposure to get a usable image.
    The film is hand wound onto the 120 spool and 35mm film is then cut to fit to the end of the paper backing.
    Of course, this is either done in a change bag or a darkroom.

Take your fabricated roll of "Holga Special" and load it into any 120 MF camera.
    I just might have a go at it someday in my Bronica.
    Sometimes I'm Brilliant but most times I'm Just Myself!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Only if you mislabel them and try to pass them off as 620 spools lol...
    Oh my, that reminds me of this ebay listing I saw recently. Although the title clearly refers to more than 100 620 spools, I am pretty sure that those are actually just 120 spools in the picture. The buyer may have thought the $172 sale price was a good deal as a resale opportunity, but if they are really 120 spools - well, then not so much!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    620 spools are worth money?

i have a whole jar full. what do they bring? ok, ebay has them for around $5 each, on average.

woopie do. Those folks DO realize every old 620 camera has one in it, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Maybe $4-5 each
    I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I can tell you exactly how much they go for. The answer is $7.25, on average.

How do I know this? Well, for some strange reason (a moment of boredom perhaps) I decided to look at completed sales of 620 spools and calculate how much they were actually selling for. I found about 3 months of sales to average; and having done the exercise twice since then, I can now report the figure above as the average price per spool over the last ~9 months. It encompasses eBay sales of just the bare spools, and only those sold in North America. It does not include shipping costs, although I have statistics for that too. Anyway, here is a histogram of the data:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	620 sales.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	64991

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin