Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,445   Online: 1175

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Need help choosing a "technical" camera

i must call upon your assistance once again guys! im thinking of moving on from my bronica sq-a and getting into technical cameras. i dont really know much about them to be honest. i love their style and the effects you can get with lens movements. im a little aware of graflex style ones and the horseman brand but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. can anyone help with any pointers on what to look out for at all? i know some will probably suggest just buying a 4x5 camera but im never going to shoot that big. ill be sticking to 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    get a minox

seriously though, i'd look into the 4x5. they're not much bigger, sometime even lighter, and you can shoot 6x12 in addition to 6xWhatever you like to shoot. the article mentioned above pretty much sums up all the relevant points.
    Last edited by EASmithV; 02-27-2013 at 09:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post
    i must call upon your assistance once again guys! im thinking of moving on from my bronica sq-a and getting into technical cameras. i dont really know much about them to be honest. i love their style and the effects you can get with lens movements. im a little aware of graflex style ones and the horseman brand but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. can anyone help with any pointers on what to look out for at all? i know some will probably suggest just buying a 4x5 camera but im never going to shoot that big. ill be sticking to 120 film.
    hi there

sorry to be one of the people who suggests you buy a 4x5 camera ...
    i would suggest getting a toyo or similar view camera and using a roll film back ...
    NOT because i am trying to convert you to use large format film .. BUT because with
    a 4x5 camera, you will have the ability to use a group of lenses that will give you more coverage
    for your MF negative, AND you will have a larger ground glass back so you will
    have a bigger pallet to compose with.
    there are a lot of cameras out there, rail cameras, and they will allow you to
    twist your bellows into knots ( if you want ), they will allow you to use longer lenses ( if you like long lenses ) ...
    you will need recessed lensboards to use things shorter than "xx mm " depending on what your needs are.
    make sure you get something with a bag / balloon bellows or the ability to change them from straight accordion to bag bellows
    because with shorter / "normal" MF lenses you will need to be free of the constraints accordion bellows serve up.

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This might be a good set for you: Fuji GX680 III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Althought I agree with the guys about the 4x5 stuff look into the linhof stuff. Their technical camera's are beautiful and practical plus there seems to be a surplus right now especially on "you know where". That said I almost gave up my LF gear(I have a linhof tech III among others) until I began looking at the tonaliy of my prints. Frankly I've never been able to achieve the same qualities with MF even from my rolleiflex. So above and beyond the movements I would rate tonality as my first criteria.
    You may find that all the effects from the movements may be a bit over rated unless doing serrious architecture or studio product work.
    For me my 4x5 monorail is the best I've used for still in studio:the flexibility of the long bellows makes macro and other close focus work a breeze the movements I don't use much.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with John's suggestion for a 4x5 camera with a roll film back, along with Ron's comment about Linhof. I started with an old Tech III and moved up to a V last year, so I know how well built, solid, and durable they are. I think Linhof makes smaller than 4x5 cameras but I'm not sure. In any case I would suggest you at least give 4x5 a try. You might like it. I have a beautiful Hasselblad 501CM rig that has not seen the light of day for several years simply because I am so addicted to those big negatives.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many years ago I remember looking enviously at a superb Linhof Tech. system in a photo store window but in small format. Maybe they're still around. I want one, I want one!
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It comes down to 6x9 Linhof or 6x9 Horseman or Baby Graphic. If we throw out Baby Graphic and just look at the two 'modern' systems it is probably a 'toss-up' as to which is better for you. Both of them have many little accessories that are useful but hard to locate. Both can be expensive. When new the Linhof was much more expensive and is better built. Now days you can probably get a very old and tired Linhof for the same price or less than a very clean late model Horseman HVR or ER-1.

I went with the Horseman VH-R system.

This site has some good info on the Horseman Technical cameras. http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/LFN/C..._Horseman1.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for all the suggestions - ill look further into the linhof and horeseman systems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wilfbiffherb, as the owner of a fully movable Super Press 23 (have the GG back and all the crap you can get for the thing) I have been eyeing 4x5s like the Linhof and Horseman for a few years. I have no intention to go to 4x5 but 6x7 or 6x9, oh ya.

Be picky on what you can pick up unless you know you can handle well worn equipment and intend to learn first then upgrade later. Personally, I would prefer using the movements on a camera designed and intended to be "moved" versus something like my Press camera that "can" move but all you get is knobs to loosen then slide it to move. Not very precise at all nor smoth. A view camera just has to be adjusted easier.

Good luck.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin