Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,974   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

New to me ETRSi body, need to hear if older lens, backs fit?

Hi all.

I have just received a "new to me" ETRSi body (from eBay). I have a reasonably complete ETR kit from a long time ago. I want to use my ETRSi body with my older lens, backs, teleconverter and bellows.

1. Should these all work with the much newer ETRSi? I know that any ETRSi system only functions might not be available (and what might they be I wonder?) but should I be expecting basic functionality or not?
    2. The battery checks out at 6.1 volts by my meter and my lens shutters fire at all speeds (correctly) but the battery check light does not work and the "shutter just fired" light does not work either (so far only tested with my 50 mm lens).
    3. If my ETRSi body needs repair does anyone have any good references to share?

Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Best

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The answer is simple, I have used older etr backs and lenses on a new etrsi without trouble

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) lenses - what type of lenses do you have? MC? They will work. Difference will be vs PE half stop aperture clicks and different construction and as some claims PE are sharper.

2) sorry for suggesting that but are you sure that battery is correctly installed? Some of those batteries have both ends that look alike. Without battery etrsi shutter will work but with only 1/500

3) i have no experience

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Older backs do not have all of the safety interlocks and thus you might remove it with the dark slide removed. I would check out all possible combinations with the older backs to see what works and what works and what does not.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you for both replies. I had thought that older/original lens, backs, etc. should work but wanted some corroboration and my web searches hadn't got me that information.

I have the normal lens, a 50 and a 150 lens as well as a teleconverter and an automatic bellows along with a 120 and a 220 back.

I am having problems with the shutter release mechanism which is not battery related (I think).

Oh, and yes I did check the battery (good advice by the way). At one time it was in backwards but I had sorted that out earlier.

Even though it shows a voltage of 6.1 V on my meter I will get another battery and check it out.

I need to sort out my shutter problems though.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE is right about backs. EI backs with gray dark slide plastic handle and double release wont allow you to remove dark slide when back is not attached. Not sure if thats related to back or to Etrsi but also if you have shutter not cocked but you swapped back and back was already advanced - back wont advance film if you will cock the shutter = you wont loose exposure.

Shutter problem - your concern are those indicator lights not working or the shutter itself?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your battery may be your shutter problem, so I'd check that first. Also, which finder are you using? Some of the AE finders can drain the battery quickly if you don't turn the camera off after using - I always forget. I made some humorous mistakes with my ETRSi when I first got it, and a few times I thought I had camera problems when I didn't. The easiest way to fool yourself is with the shutter release button - it has a safety lock mechanism that will keep the shutter from firing. It's an outer ring on the release button - make sure it's turned all the way to the bottom (there are three settings that control three different ways of firing). I used to hate this lock until I discovered that if I left the camera on, and put it in my bag, the button would depress and take continuous meter readings, running down the battery. Now I love the lock because it keeps this from happening. Also make sure your mirror lock and double exposure switches are in the "off" position (Saint Butkus has the manual here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/bronica...nica_etrsi.htm). And since the shutters themselves are in the lenses, see if you can duplicate problems with different lenses. It's a long shot, but it could be a lens. Make sure you test this without the teleconverter.
    Hope it's something simple!

As far as older lenses and backs go, it's like everyone says - they all work. BUT, I find that the newer backs and inserts work much better. If you're shooting color you can usually get 220 backs cheap at KEH, and Kodak still sells Portra in 220 size. Have fun! I love my ETRSi, and it can deliver incredible results.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my query.

I have tried multiple lenses with the same results. The Seiko leaf shutter fires and adjusts according to the setting of the shutter speed dial.

I am not using an AE finder but the waist level finder.

I have both the user manual and the repair manuals and have read through them

I have the shutter lock correctly set according to the manual at the fully released position BUT with film in the camera (either 120 or 220 back), dark slide out, shutter cocked I cannot depress fully the shutter button to fire the camera. If I rotate the switch controlling multiple exposure to the multiple exposure setting and cock the shutter by turning the crank I can easily depress the shutter button and fire the camera. Upon returning the multiple exposure lever to the single exposure setting the old problem returns of not being able to fully depressing the shutter button.

This appears to me to be a mechanical interlock problem of some type rather than a battery problem but I will check as soon as I can get a new battery.

Now the other problem is that when the lens shutter fires at any speed there is no LED flash to tell me that the shutter has fired although I know it has and I have checked for proper shutter times.

So, two problems which may or may not be related.

I hope this doesn't mean it is off to a repair man but it might have to.

Best

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the shutter lock correctly set according to the manual at the fully released position BUT with film in the camera (either 120 or 220 back), dark slide out, shutter cocked I cannot depress fully the shutter button to fire the camera.
    You can not depress fully or it just does not fire?

I tested on mine and it does not depress fully only if shutter lock is on. With dark slide in and shutter lock off it depresses fully but does not fire. I use newer backs so it may be different on yours.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I cannot depress it fully as if there is a lock still in place. However, if the multiple exposure switch is in the "on" position I can depress it fully and it fires.

Whenenver the shutter fires it is the correct timing as set by the shutter speed dial.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin