Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,403   Online: 718

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Check the contacts in the battery compartment. Make sure they are clean and that they are making solid contact.
    Thanks but I have ruled out the battery, wish that was it. But keep the suggestions coming.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by one90guy View Post
    Thanks for the help, but lens has just a tiny bit of wiggle room. Every time I walk by I pick it up and will keep trying. Please keep suggestion's coming.
    Yes, there is a tiny amount of play. Just force it back and forth between the stops and it should finish the cycle. I have had the same problem before, I twisted it fairly hard, but want to be careful about putting that advise out there!

The cause was the pins on the lens side were sticking for the first part of their rotation. Lens dis-assembly, cleaning and light lubrication was required.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Yes, there is a tiny amount of play. Just force it back and forth between the stops and it should finish the cycle. I have had the same problem before, I twisted it fairly hard, but want to be careful about putting that advise out there!

The cause was the pins on the lens side were sticking for the first part of their rotation. Lens dis-assembly, cleaning and light lubrication was required.
    Yes! I forgot about that. That is likely to be the problem. It is due to old lubricant which has thickened. As Chris says, move the lens rapidly clockwise/counterclockwise and it should complete the cycle. If not, warm it up. A sunny window might be enough, or putting it in an oven which is not above 120 actual degrees F, or a hair dryer blowing on the lens (being careful not to overheat any spot). Jiggle it periodically until you get it to release.

Once the lens is off, it is not difficult to get into the lens through the back to clean and relube it.
    In this thread over on P.nut I explain how to do it:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00bG13

One thing I said in that thread was Koh's is always an option for repair. I was wrong about that, obviously. They have stopped doing repairs.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post

Thank you for the link, will keep working on it.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Yes! I forgot about that. That is likely to be the problem. It is due to old lubricant which has thickened. As Chris says, move the lens rapidly clockwise/counterclockwise and it should complete the cycle. If not, warm it up. A sunny window might be enough, or putting it in an oven which is not above 120 actual degrees F, or a hair dryer blowing on the lens (being careful not to overheat any spot). Jiggle it periodically until you get it to release.

Once the lens is off, it is not difficult to get into the lens through the back to clean and relube it.
    In this thread over on P.nut I explain how to do it:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00bG13

One thing I said in that thread was Koh's is always an option for repair. I was wrong about that, obviously. They have stopped doing repairs.
    Great idea to warm it up, thanks. Light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Opps link provided by lxdude, sorry about that.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More thoughts from an aging brain!

My first SQ-A body developed a hang-up in the shutter release; initially the button would work, but not a cable release. After tormenting myself further it seemed to get worse. I recall that with the back off and multi-exposure on, I could prod a link up near the lens mount and at least coax something to work. This was around the time I was attempting to use the body with a pinhole body cap and no lens.

I believe the link is related to the coupling to the cocking pins on the lens, and protrudes more to the right under some states of operation. The link appears just to the left of the wooden skewer here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ap_G0691_SQA_InsideLeft.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	65333

(Excuse the dust!)

In this view, on the right (next to the silly skewer) is a bifurcated tab that appears to transfer motion from winding the crank to cock the lens. (The view disappears as the mirror descends!)

Name:	G0692_SQA_RightInside.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	410.4 KB 
ID:	65334

Also on that lower right, at the back mounting surface, is a hole with a pin in the center that works magic in interlocking film winding. I would be tempted to gently poke each of those items a bit and see if anything changes. (The views are as seen from the back with ground glass up, crank on right.)

Some day I hope to take my screwed up (camera!) body apart and learn what's in there, but I'm afraid I don't see it in my near future.

(FWIW)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    More thoughts from an aging brain!

My first SQ-A body developed a hang-up in the shutter release; initially the button would work, but not a cable release. After tormenting myself further it seemed to get worse. I recall that with the back off and multi-exposure on, I could prod a link up near the lens mount and at least coax something to work. This was around the time I was attempting to use the body with a pinhole body cap and no lens.

I believe the link is related to the coupling to the cocking pins on the lens, and protrudes more to the right under some states of operation. The link appears just to the left of the wooden skewer here:

Name:	ap_G0691_SQA_InsideLeft.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	65333

(Excuse the dust!)

In this view, on the right (next to the silly skewer) is a bifurcated tab that appears to transfer motion from winding the crank to cock the lens. (The view disappears as the mirror descends!)

Name:	G0692_SQA_RightInside.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	410.4 KB 
ID:	65334

Also on that lower right, at the back mounting surface, is a hole with a pin in the center that works magic in interlocking film winding. I would be tempted to gently poke each of those items a bit and see if anything changes. (The views are as seen from the back with ground glass up, crank on right.)

Some day I hope to take my screwed up (camera!) body apart and learn what's in there, but I'm afraid I don't see it in my near future.

(FWIW)
    So far not able to move anything in the photos. Had to put it way had daughter and grandsons for a visit Monday I will return to the camera but replace or send out for repair seems next.

David
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin