Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,324   Online: 909

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: classic folders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Super Fujica-6 is pretty well made, film advance has been trouble free, it has a good viewfinder and very decent lens. They can be a bit hard to find outside of Japan though.

The best made and most rigid folder I have (& I have a few...) is the Certo Six. The f2.8 Tessar lens is unit focused, and is parallax corrected (watch the lens move as you focus). Its weak point is the rangefinder "mirrors" can degrade, but I replaced the one in mine from some beam splitter mirror I got from the Surplus Shed. The only other point against it is that the focus lever will foul the tripod plate - without a modified plate, you're stuck on infinity or 1.5m...

The one I like using the most though is the Iskra.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I assume: IQ = image quality

(never came across that abbreveiation before)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Perkeo II with the 80mm f/3.5 Color Skopar and an Ercona II with 105mm f/3.5 CZJ Tessar; 6x6 and 6x9 respectively. Is the final result as good as my Bronica SQ-A, no, but honestly, for a typical photo how often does it really matter? If the central point of the shot is in sharp focus the eyes aren't doing microscopic analysis on the corners. Sure, I can think of some things where I'd want the best I had -- and then I'd use the Bronica. But alas, the SQ-A does not slip into my jacket pocket!

Yes, IQ = Image Quality. In cameras, a high IQ is not necessarily smart!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think medium format folders have plenty of life left in them. I've shot with them a lot, and I would strongly disagree that they should be disregarded.

My favorites are the Ikontas (regular, Mess and Super). I've not had an issue with front-cell focusing. I think it's an issue that's largely been blown out of proportion.

Aside from the Zeiss Ikon folders, you also others made by Voigtlander, Agfa, Certo, Kodak/Nagel and Kodak, Welti and countless others.

Ironically, the 6x6 medium format folders with lens beds that fold down are the easiest to use, because you generally hold them in the same way that you would hold an SLR. Place the lens bed in your left palm while holding the body with your right hand, finger on the shutter button.

For Zeiss Ikon, 6x4.5 and 6x9 will require a slightly different grip.

All with the Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 530/2 (1937):

Ektachrome 100

The downside of this camera is that you must mentally adjust for parallax, which I didn't do and cut off the ears of the hobby horse.

Agfapan APX 100:

Arista 400:

I think I shot this at about f/8, maybe 1/50 of a second.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised that no one from the UK has pointed out that some fine 6x6 and 6x9 folders were made there.

I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned that very good 6x9 folders were made in France after WW-II. If you're interested in learning about them visit Sylvain Halgand's site http://www.collection-appareils.fr/c...html/index.php , many of whose entries have English translations. Look for Telka (under D for DeMaria-LaPierre on the left side of the screen), Kinax (K on the left side), Pontiac, and Royer. The French regard Royer's 6x9 TeleRoy (Tele for telemetre, rangefinder) as highly as Zeiss-Ikon's 6x9 Ikontas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to temper the Zeiss-Ikon Super Ikonta enthusiasm with a bit of reality: the film advance on a lot of these Super Ikontas was engineered for a thick film base and it's pretty common to have overlapping frames with modern films. There are some klugey ways to get around it if that kind of thing doesn't bother you. See http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/9...ikonta-iv.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a soft spot for a Seagull 203. Not the nicest shutter release button (very small), but produces wonderful results.....
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All it takes is one incompetent camera repair person and your IQ (bad news when I have to read a dozen posts to figure out what that means) on a Super Ikonta goes straight to hell. All ya have to do is be off by one tooth on the focus mechanism. And 80 years can have a lot of different hands on that camera.

That Tessar should give you great results front cell focus or not.

Personally to the OP, I would choose the Voigtlander.

tim in sanjose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a nice Agfa Isolette "L" model I acquired from Jurgen Kreckle. Yep, has the blue bellows! I've had a lot of fun using this camera. He did a wonderful job in restoring it, as it looks new in every respect. Even the light meter works as it should. I use it mainly for 6X6.
    I also have a Franka Solida ll which was in excellent condition when I found it. It's actually the classier of the two, and a real workhorse (cost me $30).
    Once you get used to them, they are great to use. I also have other folders and Agfa Isolettes in various states of repair, mainly bellows problems (light leak city), but still useable with sealers. So I really don't go in for the "only buy newer brands" belief.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I bought a Zeiss Ercona from Certo6 last year to use as a backup camera. Seems well made, but a bit hard for me to use because of the lefty shutter release. Nice results - Tessar lens that gave me some sharp 11x14 enlargements.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin