Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,576   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

film speed recommendation for late March in Cornwall

Hello everyone, I am thinking of a trip to Cornwall (south coast of England) shortly and wondering about film speed...I am going to try taking some pictures of my family with the ETRSi which has been sitting patiently at the bottom of my cupboard (I am taking a Pentax ME Super along too in case anything doesnt work with the Bronica). What would people recommend for film speed...I am thinking TMAX 400 should do it for me, but am concerned by the Bronica's top speed of 1/500s. Having not shot medium format ever, I dont know how much impact it will have if I have to stop down to f16 to keep within the limits of the shutter speed. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going next week for a couple of weeks funnily enough.

I'll be taking 400 exclusively and expect some days to have to shoot at 800 ... but you just never know down there.

The forecast is awful, and the most western part of cornwall (west penwith - Penzance, St Just, Land's End) is more like an atlantic island than mainland. The weather can just close in and stay shrouded for days if not weeks. Or be glorious. Keep an eye on the inshore waters forecast and the shipping forecast, they're more accurate for west cornwall than the ordinary one you'll get on tv and radio.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    FP4+

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    As you will be shooting B&W I'd imagine that on sunny days you will have a filter on for skies. If so then TMax 400 would be a good choice. At this time of year especially, you can work on sunny f11 so 1/400th with no filter and even a yellow is 1/200th. I cannot really imagine circumstances where the need for f16 conflicts with TMax 400. Quite the reverse. If you shoot handheld and need f16 then TMax 400 will give you a shutter speed sufficient to avoid any danger of shake which a slower film might not, especially with the likes of a green, orange or red filter

On very dull days TMax400 can be shot at EI800 with same dev time so there is some margin there if light and subject matter require it.

TMax400 sounds like a good choice to me

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Two years ago we went down in March and it was so nice I shot a roll of 50ASA film without a tripod, last year at the same time I shot 800ASA film in-between soakings. So if you're an optimist, maybe also pack a roll of 100ASA film.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I lived in Cornwall, I routinely shot with FP4 . Pdeeh is right about Cornish weather - really changeable, but it is not February so you should see the sun at some point. The plus with Cornwall is the almost complete lack of air pollution, the prevailing wind coming across the Atlantic - so the air is much clearer than is the case in most of England.

Shooter
    35mm
    in the end I have plumped for some TRIX and TMAX 100, just in case...I seem to remember someone saying it makes no sense to spend money on lenses and the like and then to economise on film and paper...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would have packed TRI-X or HP5+ exclusively. Both can be shot somewhere in between EI 100 and 3200 with satisfactory results.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I.S.O 400, to quote Bob Hope "Britain is a place where you can get all four seasons in one day" .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    The UK has far more dull days than sunny, especially when we are not in summer. You can't go wrong with ISO 400 film, but if you're lucky you might be able to use slower film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin