Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,461   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleiflex 2.8GX

So... I came upon an opportunity to fulfill one of my long-time dreams, ownership of a true, authentic Rollei TLR. I may be able to buy a 1989 edition 2.8GX, practically brand new (certainly never used), with all original boxes, documents, etc, for around $3,000... possibly a bit less if I negotiate.

Is that a good deal these days? Just fyi, I do not plan on keeping the camera in this mint condition - I use all the equipment I purchase (even if it's only for a yearly run through of film), so am not worried about depreciating value, just wondering if this is a deal I shouldn't pass up?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think you'll have to worry to much on depreciaition. I would consider buying a Rolleiflex camera like buying a Rolex watch. As far a what your paying for it.. I couldn't say.. Thats diffently out my price range.

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Doing some cursory searches on eBay and keh, looks like new GX' in general are a bit above that price, while used is a bit below. Found another 1989 edition on the bay (seller is in HK, as so many seem to be) for around $3300.

I may be waiting a bit on this one... price could definitely go down the longer this sits on the shelf.

I understand your desire for a Rollei - I own an old one. Consider that you can buy a good Hasselblad system with two or three lenses for about the same amount. No, it's not a Rollei, but it's much more versatile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rolleiflex 2.8GX

Any reason you want a G for so many thousands when a good F or even a decent E will take photos as good. I know the G has some additional features but a good F can be had for $1000 to $1200 and an E for $600-900. That's a lot to pay for a little more functionality.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Friends don't let friends become shelf queens.

If you have the money then don't worry about it (the price seems fair) but consider what rich says above -- if you simply want a good Rollei to shoot with, then you have options.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, it's more like I happened upon what I thought was a good deal, but in reality doesn't appear to be so much of a deal now. I have a Yashica Mat 124, and while it's good, and shoots really sharp images, I've also wanted to own an authentic Rollei TLR. It certainly doesn't look like it will be too hard to fulfill that goal down the road though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Absolutely! I shoot every camera I own at least once a year. I do tend to focus on just a couple throughout the year for my various projects, but they all get some love and film annually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rolleiflex 2.8GX

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post

If you have the money then don't worry about it (the price seems fair) but consider what rich says above -- if you simply want a good Rollei to shoot with, then you have options.
    Ha. Yeah! Said Rich who spent about that for a Rolleiwide...(but that's a different story).
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjr View Post
    Well, it's more like I happened upon what I thought was a good deal, but in reality doesn't appear to be so much of a deal now. I have a Yashica Mat 124, and while it's good, and shoots really sharp images, I've also wanted to own an authentic Rollei TLR. It certainly doesn't look like it will be too hard to fulfill that goal down the road though.
    I have owned both and I can't say the Rollei was so much better that the price was justified in image quality.......after all how good is good? BUT the mystique that is something else altogether. Liecas have the same mystique mojo BTW. There is just something about the way it feels in your hand etc. But now that I am old enough to be immune to GAS I would have a very difficult time paying that price for any camera. I will however go out of my way to get a good German lens, as I prefer their look in Black and White.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin