Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,907   Online: 921

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rollei Pro model?

What are considered to be PRO model Rollei"s the camera's that can be put the test as far as durabilty and regars of pro use.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is no such think like a Rollei that is unpro ;-) I think all the TLRs are pro. Even the Rolleicord. SL66 was also a highly professional camera (but not as resilient). Rollei 6000 is a professional system, as is the Hy6. I have no experience with the Rollei 35mm cameras though, but I think all the 6x6 Rolleis are very dependable and durable as long as they are treated accordingly and serviced from time to time. When it really comes to abuse, I think the TLRs can take the most. I once have seen a 2,8F listed on Ebay that looked really beaten, but was fully functional. It went for only 300 bucks, unfortunately I missed it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very true.. however the T model on another thread accusing it to be a step down from the rest due to the transport mechinism and less robust functionbilty. I did notice that my F TLR from the start had a chunckier retaining door catch.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei Pro model?

The T model is a cheaper version with less expensive and durable parts, as discussed two very experienced and reliable Rollei repair techs have specifically said so. Also the C model has more plastic parts though still a very good camera.

The actual condition example to example is FAR more important for cameras this old than comparing model to model or lens to lens.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are processing your own film, I'd say it might be impossible to wear out a Rolleiflex T. There are not enough hours in the day to eat, process film, make prints and shoot pictures before you die.

I'd say the only non-Pro Rollei items are stamped "Made in Singapore".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Also the C model has more plastic parts though still a very good camera.
    The only plastic bits of the 2.8C are the release lock and flash connector lock, everything else being the same and durable, BUT:

the 2.8C has 10 aperture blades, instead of 5 as all the other flexes. Ha!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei Pro model?

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    The only plastic bits of the 2.8C are the release lock and flash connector lock, everything else being the same and durable, BUT:

the 2.8C has 10 aperture blades, instead of 5 as all the other flexes. Ha!
    True enough! My cleanest and best condition Rolleiflex is a 2.8C Xenotar. I personally do not see those plastic bits a big deal but some purists do (then again there are manywho would never own any Rolleiflex older than an F). As to the aperture blades I cannot see any significant difference vs my 2.8E Planar.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'd say the only non-Pro Rollei items are stamped "Made in Singapore".
    And I'd say that Rollei quality standards did not vary in any real life way due to different manufacturing venues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by prumpkah View Post
    And I'd say that Rollei quality standards did not vary in any real life way due to different manufacturing venues.
    ???
    I have quite a collection of 1980s and 1990s Rolleiflex equipment. The non-working display models are all marked "Made in Singapore" except for a single non-working SL2000F that is marked "Made in Germany". This even applies to things that were made in both places, like the E36RE flash. I have two made in Singapore and one made in Germany. The German one is still working the other two quit. In terms of 50mm f1.4 lenses, all the ones with wobbly focus and incorrect collimation are marked "Made in Singapore." Don't get me wrong, I still have plenty of "Made in Singapore" Rolleiflex gear, but I baby them for fear of breakage (like my collection of SL35E).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei never really made an "unpro" camera model. For durability and longevity I think the Rolleiflexes are on top, however with less moving parts, bells and whistles the Rolleicord seems for me the most stable and robust camera. They were considered as consumer models but when compared to the Flexes almost identical.

However, I heard after the 1970's Rollei started to build in plastic parts into their cameras. So maybe the pre 1970 models, during the hey days of TLR's are considered the best cameras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin