Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,555   Online: 954

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

How difficult is it..?

Hey Guys,

I've also was curious in the maxwell screens and how to replace it. However Oceanside camera asks alot of money to replace it. I have my T model with me today and was looking on the viewing glass on how it is attached. It looks like it just slides from front to back in the two clips? Is this all that involved to replace it? Were can you get those Maxwell or Beattie replacement glass anyway?

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Model T?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.. I recall there is a place that offered a less exspensive version. I believe a member provided a link.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=39959 if it's a rollei.this might help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The screens themselves aren't cheap, and there may be some shimming neccesary to assure correct focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like he has a Rolleiflex T.

If you can remove your current screen then you can install the new one.
    However, please note: These new screens scratch easily, handle with care.
    Also, you may have to calibrate the screen and that is easily done as the two lenses can be adjusted separately. You will need an object on infinity (or a film SLR/lens) and some tape/screen in place of film. Search here and other photo site for detailed steps on the process.

The screens are not cheap and not everyone loves, but if your current screen is dark, they will very much help focusing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yikes.. That sound complicated. Might just have to live with a slight scuff.

Thanks Guys, ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On the Rolleiflex T, you can remove the stock screen from the clips holding it and put in a new screen, whether from Maxwell or from one of the other suppliers of bright screens. However, I would definitely want the focus checked and dialed ifor the new screen, which as I understand it, is properly done by moving the lenses as opposed to shimming the screen.

I have had Krikor Maralian install Maxwells in two Rolleis recently. My impression is that most of the cost ($220 currently) is the screen itself.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rick Oleson sells screens at a reasonable price. I have one and like it... I have a Rollleiflex T

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html
    Regards,
    Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Both Rick Oleson and Bill Maxwell will provide instructions on installing their screens and shimming. The best way is to collimate the focus screen for infnity and make certain the taking lens is also set up properly. But there are other ways that avoid the expense of some repair people and will be 'good enough' for most of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin