Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,426   Online: 1229

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pre 67 Period Correct Medium Format SLR?

Greetings all,

Not sure if I have mentioned it before, but I am a bit of a closet Hotrod show person, especially vintage type rods.

When I go to some of these shows, I like to break out my Koni-Omega Rapid. It certainly has been known to get tongues wagging and is appreciated when I talk to some of the people at these shows, but I have a bit of a love hate relationship with that camera (sharp as a tack when nailed, but the RF is a PITA).

I have toyed with getting a Graphic, but I have decided that I don't want to take that move (range finder again)...so I am going to be on the lookout for a Medium Format SLR that is period correct.

So, I know the 'Blad 500C was produced in the right era. Can anyone else give me a rundown on other MF SLR's that might also fit the pre '67 bill?

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bronica S2a and earlier incarnations. Pentacon Six... Kowa Six, plus a few others I'm sure.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the Rolleiflex SL66 is in that era.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kiev 6 (1967)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes Rolleiflex SL66, but it as already very 60s in its style. The Hasselblad has a more vintage look compared to it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A Rolleiflex TLR is easy to use and takes great photos, but has a fixed lens.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best if you don't want to go the Hasselblad route would be the Bronica S2A, really nice lenses and great to use. I have a Pentacon Six as well, but these are not as reliable as the Bronica.
    I have also been known to frequent car shows and I will often take a Rollei, don't go all that close but very portable...and people like 'em!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the replies.

I had thought of a TLR, but I would be happier with a SLR. When was the S2a released?
    Last edited by hoffy; 03-09-2013 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: damn predictive text.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya Press and Mamiya 23 cameras are period specific, but of course they are also rangefinders.

The original Pentax 67 came out in 1969 - is that close enough?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I had thought of a TLR, but I would be happier with a SLR. When was the S2a released?
    I knew generally the S2 and S2a were late 1960s. This guy (link) says specifically S2 in '66 and S2a in '69, so if that's correct, you'd need an S2 (or a plain S, even older) to achieve pre-'67. I can confirm that all that chrome gets tongues wagging as well, even if it's not quite as big as a Rapid. Hotrodders should appreciate its look. The only other people (dog-walkers, not hotrodders) on an otherwise empty street early this Sunday had to come and have a look when I was shooting with my S2.
    --Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin