Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,091   Online: 1106

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleiflex SLX, Version 2............lens issue

I have a Rolleiflex SLX with both the 80mm and 150mm lenses. Also, related to this question, I had my "backup" NiCad battery pack rebuilt so that the former "primary" battery in my kit is now my "backup" battery and my primary is a fresh set of cells, so that battery power should not be a question with my problem.

Here is my issue.....the 80mm lens has recently developed a tendency to "lag" when the shutter is engaged, it might take three attempts to fire the shutter and this is not necessarily consistent, so I am curious about the problem and the solution. When I use the 150mm lens everything is fine related to firing the shutter, and the body without a lens attached fires consistently. So, I believe there is something limiting the 80mm lens from operating normally. If I stop down the lens manually (the side button) before exposure it seems to operate and fire normally, which might indicate a resistance or other electronic issue (contact cleaning?) between the lens and the body. This has developed without any "event" with either the body or lens, so I am really curious if others have had any similar issues with a Rolleiflex SLX or 6000 series lens or body.

If this is a matter of contact cleaning or repair, I would be interested in any similar experiences, and possible solutions.

I posted this in the MF section to get the broadest look, thanks!

FL Guy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    from your description, it sounds like it is the 80mm lens...
    ...i have the same camera and have not encountered that problem - pure dumb luck, my friend at work.

did you repeat your trouble shooting steps with each battery? perhaps the rebuilt battery is the root of the problem...the part about it working when manually stopping down and firing is baffling.

wish i had more helpful input...

breathe, relax and enjoy.
    laugh more, smile more...i do whenever i get near a mirror.
    smiling gecko, aka kenneth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    did you repeat your trouble shooting steps with each battery? perhaps the rebuilt battery is the root of the problem...the part about it working when manually stopping down and firing is baffling.

Yes, both batteries were involved in this test. The rebuild of the backup battery was accelerated because I thought this was a voltage/battery issue. But it looks like something else, I am thinking it might be a contact issue @ the lens/body area or a breakdown of the shutter internally within the lens. Your comments are appreciated.

FL Guy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    any luck sorting out your problem?

i wonder if there is some sort of "gunk" under your shutter release.

perhaps a light application of aerosol electrical contact cleaner directed under/around the shutter button might dissolve/dislodge any "gunk" interfering with the button making solid contact when depressed - CAUTION : here is where you could benefit from someone here with some experience and expertise in dealing with lubricating small electronic components. it might do more harm than good...definitely call a local electronic or computer or copier repair place and see what they think before you go splishin' and splashin' with any sort of cleaner around the shutter button.

another thing, i cannot remember for sure (and the SLX is home- have the 6002 & 6003 pro with me), but doesn't have two shutter release buttons?

if so, if you haven't already done so, you could try the steps you mentioned before using the 'other'
    shutter release button...

best of luck.

smiling gecko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Watch out. Some electrical cleaner melts certain plastics.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    yikes!!!

thanks dehk for the heads up!!

did not know some electrical cleaners would melt plastic 😦

i was trying to caution FL Guy to check with some one with related electrical experience AND to go easy with applying contact cleaner or the like...and "up jumped the devil" (some plastic melting cleaners).

i will keep that in mind when i get the urge to tinker

breathe, relax and enjoy
    laugh more, smile more...i do whenever I get near a mirror.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Gecko and Dehk, thanks

Gecko:

I have been away from this thread for a few days, and Did Not heed your advice related to contact cleaners, etc.

My sequence with this problem was to check both release buttons (L+R), and the electronic release on the pistol grip, with all forms of shutter release the problem is consistent (shutter will normally fire only if lens is stopped-down prior to release).

In trying to further my research, I put the lens in "A" mode to see what would happen. Mystically the problem disappears and the shutter fires normally, so my guess is that there is some electrical malfunction between the lens and the body circuitry (shutter fires normally if lens is in A mode or stopped-down prior to exposure). And in the first post, I mentioned that the 150mm lens operates normally, so I would think that it is a Lens issue vs. the body. Keep the comments coming, I don't think this is a common SLX problem but I would think someone has heard of this issue in the past.

Stay Safe!

FL Guy

Quote Originally Posted by smiling gecko View Post
    yikes!!!

thanks dehk for the heads up!!

did not know some electrical cleaners would melt plastic 

i was trying to caution FL Guy to check with some one with related electrical experience AND to go easy with applying contact cleaner or the like...and "up jumped the devil" (some plastic melting cleaners).

i will keep that in mind when i get the urge to tinker

breathe, relax and enjoy
    laugh more, smile more...i do whenever I get near a mirror.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin