Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,709   Online: 902

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gus. View Post
    Is it a matter of height or the enlarger head that defines how large it can print?
    It is the size of the light source and the size of the space for the negative holders that determines what size of negative can be used in it.

You generally need to purchase the right size negative holder, a suitable lens and the right lens mount for that lens.

EDIT - I just realized I was wrong when I said you could enlarge up to 4" x 5" with that enlarger. The maximum size is actually 6 x 9 cm with a B5 - still large enough to include 6 x 7.

Here are links to KHB's pages for the Omega B5/B6: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/Discontinued/B5.htm

and the somewhat related Omega B7: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/Discontinued/B7.htm

as a comprehensive resource, KHB is invaluable, as is Harry Taylor's site Classic Enlargers: http://www.classic-enlargers.com/
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Gus, welcome to APUG and GAS.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I appreciate it! No GAS just yet but give me a few weeks! Haha.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Here are links to KHB's pages for the Omega B5/B6: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/Discontinued/B5.htm

and the somewhat related Omega B7: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/Discontinued/B7.htm

as a comprehensive resource, KHB is invaluable, as is Harry Taylor's site Classic Enlargers: http://www.classic-enlargers.com/
    Woah! When I first bought my B5 I looked and looked for relative information with little luck. Thank you!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have owned quite a few medium format cameras. My Hasselblad 500cm is my favorite over all. I have a bad back and the Blad is not hard on me to carry around.

I used to have a Mamiya RZ67. It was my favorite medium format camera for portraiture. It's fantastic as a studio camera on a tripod. I eventually sold the kit to help fund a 4x5.

If you buy the RZ make sure you get the 110mm. It's a real gem!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are "locked" in on 6x7 then you have your choices narrowed a bit. I have never used a Mamiya RZ67, but I did own a very nice RB67 with three lenses for about a year and a half. For me it was only a tripod camera. Now, if you are of a large body size you might be happy strapping it around your neck, but not me. I did love the rotating back and it being 6x7, but I never got used to the separate cocking and film advance. The optics were also very, very good. I already had a Hasselblad 500C so the RB67 went up for sale. Like I said before, I have and use the Pentax 67 the most of all my cameras, but if I were to start all over and wanted a more portable and modular 6x7 there would only be one choice. That choice would be the Bronica GS-1 with the speed-power grip added. You would have everything you seem to be asking for in one much smaller package than the RZ67. I think the RB67 and RZ67 are really fine cameras, but I just don't find them that portable. If I'm going to lug something that big up a hill I'll take my 4x5 field camera with three lenses, 4 film holders and a 120 6x7 roll back and have the same weight and a much larger negative to boot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may be a little late to this thread but I think it's important to decide in this order (imo):

1. Type of camera you feel most comfortable with since photography is as much about you as it is about the subject. Do you want an SLR-esque camera? A "classic" medium format camera with a waist level finder? TLR?

2. What film format you "see" best in. As people have mentioned this can be 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, etc. Personally I prefer 6x7 because it's much larger than the 6x4.5 negatives and is an "ideal crop" format which makes it much easier to find frames.

3. Budget. Self explanatory

FWIW I have a Mamiya RZ67 with 110 2.8 and 50 4.5 lenses. It is a GREAT camera and really is not as heavy as people say. I've been using it nonstop for almost a year and weight was never a concern with me. It is 95% hand held except for night shots (where a tripod would be almost mandatory anyways). It's no featherweight, but I feel people play up its weight too much.

The camera is extremely modular which is very nice. If you break a back, body, lens, etc you can hop online and find them relatively easy. This is one reason why I did not go with the Bronica GS-1, apparently parts are harder to find for it. I almost went with a Bronica SQ-Ai but decided I wanted the 6x7 format instead.

It's great to hear you're getting into medium format photography hopefully this reply wasn't too tedious to read!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gus
    It is the design and construction of the head. If the head is not large enough it physically cannot cover the larger negative. Example you cannot print anything larger than 6x6 in a B22 enlarger, the head is not big enough to cover a larger negatives. With the larger head of a D2, you can print anything up to 4x5 inches.

I found the info on your enlarger. I thought the B-series maxed out at 6x6, but according to the KBH site, your B5 will handle 2-1/4x3-1/4 or 6x9.
    You just need the appropriate negative carrier, lens mount and lens. That could be difficult based on how old your enlarger is, but you might get lucky.
    Start looking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    2. What film format you "see" best in. As people have mentioned this can be 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, etc. Personally I prefer 6x7 because it's much larger than the 6x4.5 negatives and is an "ideal crop" format which makes it much easier to find frames.
    It's odd but I had never given this much thought. Makes total sense. Shoot how you 'see' right?

Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post

FWIW I have a Mamiya RZ67 with 110 2.8 and 50 4.5 lenses. It is a GREAT camera and really is not as heavy as people say. I've been using it nonstop for almost a year and weight was never a concern with me. It is 95% hand held except for night shots (where a tripod would be almost mandatory anyways). It's no featherweight, but I feel people play up its weight too much.

The camera is extremely modular which is very nice. If you break a back, body, lens, etc you can hop online and find them relatively easy. This is one reason why I did not go with the Bronica GS-1, apparently parts are harder to find for it. I almost went with a Bronica SQ-Ai but decided I wanted the 6x7 format instead.

It's great to hear you're getting into medium format photography hopefully this reply wasn't too tedious to read!
    Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about my decision to go RZ. Hope I win the auction I'm bidding on! Thanks Tron!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Gus
    It is the design and construction of the head. If the head is not large enough it physically cannot cover the larger negative. Example you cannot print anything larger than 6x6 in a B22 enlarger, the head is not big enough to cover a larger negatives. With the larger head of a D2, you can print anything up to 4x5 inches.

I found the info on your enlarger. I thought the B-series maxed out at 6x6, but according to the KBH site, your B5 will handle 2-1/4x3-1/4 or 6x9.
    You just need the appropriate negative carrier, lens mount and lens. That could be difficult based on how old your enlarger is, but you might get lucky.
    Start looking.
    That's a good point. I need to start looking for a 6x7 carrier. If my enlarger is too old then only the bulb would suffer, no? (as far as printing performance, barring enlarger lens clarity) A new one would get it back to (hopefully) original light output?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin