Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,397   Online: 1185

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Considering first MF purchase - input appreciated

Hey folks! Name's Gus - washed up digital photographer gone film! ;D

I've been shooting 35mm for fun for a few years now and have finally given into the MF bug. For a while I was interested in the Mamiya 645 for it's modularity. I figured 120 was the next step up. However, my goal is to get even REMOTELY close to shooting wonderful b/w portraits like this,

(I apologize but I do not know the photographer to credit.)

I want MF because I want as much possible information in the negs. (I already develop/print at home) That brought me to consider going 6x7. So my question is, what do you guys/gals think about the Pentax 6x7? It doesn't offer modular options - is there something that does? Does it really matter that I cannot switch film cartridges mid-shoot? I've been keeping my eye on this Ebay option - http://www.ebay.com/itm/321085249452...84.m1423.l2649 Seems like a good deal but I don't know the market for these very well. Thoughts?

Thanks so much everybody.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Both Hasselblads and RZ7's are available at ridiculously low prices right now. I prefer HAsselblad because it is light and easier for me to use. The Mamyiyas are heavy and thus are tripod only cameras for most people. I alos prefer the Hasselblad lenses. These are the only two makes I would consider.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Pentax is said to be a good and sturdy camera with good lenses. I do not have personal experience with it though. It is often recommended to get the version with mirror lock up, but since you want to shoot portraits this would be of no use I think. The 105/2,4 is a lens capable of amazing results from what I´ve seen. Otherwise, Mamiya RB67 or RZ67 with 110mm and 180mm lenses are the classic portrait machines for 6x7. These are very modular also. Do you need the cameras to be portable? These are rather big. If you need a sleek and light camera I would rather recommend a Rolleiflex TLR or Hasselblad. I assume that you want to print on conventional paper sizes? If so, and because you wanted the maximum of information, I would recommend 6x7 over 6x6, since the latter is not more than 6x4,5 or 6x5 when cropped to meet standard paper sizes.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd go Hasselblad. Much more modular. Now affordable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The RB67 is available at prices below ridiculous !
    An extremely modular system of finders, film backs, and excellent lenses.
    I haven't used the 500C since I bought the RB67 last summer. The weight
    is also ridiculous, but I can manage without a tripod down to 1/60th. of a second.
    I also love the 120 /220 6X8 Motorized Power Drive Film Holders !
    It's just too tedious to cock the shutter, and advance the film separately.
    And of course the backs rotate to allow for portraits.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RZ67 and Hasselblad 500/501/503 series are the only options I would consider for a modular medium format studio camera. I hate the 645 format and find 645 SLRs to be too similar in weight and bulk to 6x6 cameras. I use a pair of Hasselblads -constantly- for what it's worth. I also use a Pentax 67, and love it, but find it less of a studio camera (it begs to be outside).

You can't go wrong with an RZ if you want a 6x7 modular studio camera though, they're pretty much the defacto standard definition for "6x7 modular studio camera". My father has used them for 20 years, formerly with cases upon cases of Portra and Tri-X, now with a Leaf back.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Rolleiflex also offered a nice modular 6x6 system, although the cost might be out of your price range. Some lenses will cost you several thousand dollars.

More recently, there is the Pentax 645 system, which of course is 6x4.5.

Personally, I like the 6x6 format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera's Jim mentioned are good. The question back to you " is changing film mid-shoot something you often do?" Only you can answer if this is needed. Whether you need to hand hold is a good question. Jim is right, hassy's are nice, RB/RZ are tripod mounts, alternatives could be a Bronica GS-1 (my favorite), Mamiya 7 (RangeFinder but sweet), on the lesser $ scale but also good would be a Koni-Omega 100 or 200, also a RF,was the wedding camera of choice back in the day. Excellent len's, easy to hand hold but still a bit clumsy, but easy on the pocketbook. The Pentax 6x7 is "said" to have shutter and mirror vibration at slower speeds (1/60) when hand held. I did not see if the camera on ebay had MLU (Mirror Lock Up) which might be handy at slow speeds on a tripod. Was going to buy a 67 then I looked into and bought a GS-1, feel I got more for less, easy to hand hold also. Am sure others will pipe in with other alternatives just as good or better. Have been getting stung recently on Eprey so be careful, this guy looks legite though. Good Luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm somewhat new to MF, but for portrait/studio work the two Mamiya cameras, RB and RZ are great for that kind of work.

The RB67 is the older of the two. It is fully mechanical. Advantages are a removable and rotating back. The biggest disadvantage is that its a BIG, HEAVY camera. If its going to sit on a tripod in the studio, thats not a problem thought

The RZ67 is a newer electronic "super updated" version of the RB. It also has a removable rotating back, and a variety of lenses to choose from. The camera is much more electronic than its predecessor so it allows for AE modes as well as fully manual.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just one little remark: The RZ is not the successor to the RB. Both cameras were sold simultaneously for a long time.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin