Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,854   Online: 937

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best way to enlarge Rolleiflex focus screen

I'm having a hard time seeing the screen well enough to focus with my Rolleiflex 3.5E. I've got a Maxwell screen. I've got bifocal glasses. I find the pop up magnifier doesn't help much. On a tripod I can use my cheap 5x Peak magnifier and focus fine, but handheld it's hunt and peck and hope for the best.

Any tips on how to magnify the focusing screen, for handheld work?

Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Replace it with a Hasselblad prism or chimney finder.

Also, there are diopter elements available for the magnifying glass in the Rolleiflex hoods. I ended up with one in a used Rolleicord I bought. I had no idea it wasn't standard, but then I noticed the subtle '+3' molded into the rim. Man, that made all the difference. I've communicated with Harry Fleenor at Oceanside and he has some in stock. I have no idea how to determine the proper strength- I use around a +2.5-3 reading glass strength, so the +3 makes sense. Then again, in a Fuji GW690 rangefinder I used a +1 (Nikon FM series diopter) and it worked well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've sometimes used a cheap plastic fresnel magnifier sheet from an office supply shop.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sounds to me like Daniel is probably right in that it is a diopter problem and what you have doesn't work with either focal in your bifocals.
    I need regular reading glasses. If I put a +1 diopter in my pop up magnifier I can focus just fine with out my glasses. However if I want to focus with my glasses on
    I have to have a regular not +1 magnifier.... then I can focus through the magnifier even without putting it right up to my eye.
    You should be able with the correct focus for your eyes to easily focus your Rollei.
    You can get a Hasselblad chimney with adjustable diopter for a lot less money than the Rollei Chimney however with an E you can't put it on your camera. So I think whatever diopter you have in place in your pop up magnifier, you need something else.
    Dennis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin