Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,411   Online: 871

Shooter
    35mm RF

Fuji GX680mm lenses remounted into LF shutters?

I had a wild idea for a polaroid conversion and I was wondering if the GX680mm lenses could be mounted into large format shutters like a Copal? Anyone ever tried removing the optics from one of these lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me that sounds like turning a lens that is worth a bit into something that has less value. With the plethora of other lenses available that are made for fitting into LF shutters, why would you want to ruin a perfectly good GX lens? If it is wrecked already, then by all means go for it .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why?
    I have no data about the GX680 lenses but I doubt that a setup as you suggests would have a lot of coverage (probably just right for 6x8cm). As dorff says, there is no shortage of good and cheap LF lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kzphoto View Post
    I had a wild idea for a polaroid conversion and I was wondering if the GX680mm lenses could be mounted into large format shutters like a Copal? Anyone ever tried removing the optics from one of these lenses?
    Sure, they can be remounted. Be prepared to pay a very good machinist a great deal of money to design and fabricate new cells to hold the glass.

Why not just use the scads of very high quality reasonably priced lenses that are on the market now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome, kzphoto. I don't think it would be worth the considerable effort, especially when taking into account probable coverage limitations.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

krb

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Why?
    I have no data about the GX680 lenses but I doubt that a setup as you suggests would have a lot of coverage (probably just right for 6x8cm).
    Well, the 680 has all the front movements so the image circle is larger than 6x8 (seems like I was told they are all 10cm of coverage) but that's still not enough to be really useful on LF.

Hell, I've been considering one of the lensboard adapters that allows you to use LF lenses on the 680.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by krb View Post
    Well, the 680 has all the front movements so the image circle is larger than 6x8 (seems like I was told they are all 10cm of coverage) but that's still not enough to be really useful on LF.

Hell, I've been considering one of the lensboard adapters that allows you to use LF lenses on the 680.

From what I understand, the lenses have about 15mm of shift in either direction, so they should cover 6x9 and possibly 6x12. I'd like to try and convert a lens to use on a Graflex XL camera and if it works maybe try and convert a few others. I will try and pick up a cheap 80mm to see if the optics will unscrew. If not, I suppose I can resell the lens and live with the lesson learned!

Shooter
    35mm
    gx lenses covers more than 6x8 coz of tilt/shift front and those are fully electronic operated, so not worth to make fully mechanical conversion.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin