Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,552   Online: 940

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    Thanks so much for the great info, I know I can always turn to APUG for awesome advice! The reason I was thinking the GF670 was because it was new and wouldn't require me to get a CLA. It would just be nice to own a new film camera (I've never had a new film camera before haha). But I will definitely check out this Jurgen guys stuff. I had no idea who he was until this thread. Thanks again for the info!

Now you have me looking at Super Ikontas :shakesfist:
    ...and they have a good meter, easy to load system, and one hell of a good lens. There's lots of reasons to consider it. Only bummer, like the Mamiya series, is lack of interchangeable backs, in case you want to swap between color and BW work.

If you want, you could snag a 6x6 or 6x9 for under $100 and play with it and decide if that type of camera is right for you. I used to shoot folders exclusively, but the lack of interchangeable lenses finally got me.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    There's a guy on ebay named Jurgen, userid cert06, who specializes in selling CLA'd folders. He's got a pretty good reputation among apug buyers. After watching quite a number of auctions, his buy-it-now prices are really close to the eventual bid price. Depending on model, features and "cool" factor, he has auctions right now ranging from $125 to $350. All are in top shape. I had GAS really bad recently and almost bought one, but decided a new lawn mower would improve my life more than another old camera would.
    I tried to find a folder from him on his site and ebay but found them all to be grossly overpriced. I eventually found a Zeiss folder on another site for $5 and works and looks new.

I've also had good luck with the Kodak Brownie #2 with the red bellows, it take 120 film and if you dont mind a little bigger & boxier camera its a steal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just finished shooting a roll in my GF670 in the snow. Now I having it sitting on the kitchen table, drying out the bellows before closing it up for the night. I seriously love this camera and while I enjoy a good vintage folder as well, this GF670 is simply outstanding! If you want something old, cheap and look forward to tinkering around with it, and also taking some nice photos a vintage folder is the way. But if you want the best folder available then the Fuji is for you!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I tried to find a folder from him on his site and ebay but found them all to be grossly overpriced. I eventually found a Zeiss folder on another site for $5 and works and looks new.

I've also had good luck with the Kodak Brownie #2 with the red bellows, it take 120 film and if you dont mind a little bigger & boxier camera its a steal
    Wow, great finds.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    As I see it, folders from him have had a CLA which would surely be worth a hundred bucks give or take by itself. I have a Perkeo II and an Ercona II from certo6 that I've had a lot of fun with. And indeed, the cost of the film I've put through the Perkeo has probably reached three times what I paid for the camera, especially since I've shot some color and had it lab processed. None the less, if you got a folder in good working condition for $5, you've done well (and been damn lucky!) At the time I bought the aforementioned cameras, I had followed ePrey auctions on some and they went for way more than $5; that plus the CLA and some vague sense of warranty caused me to go to certo6. Of course both those cameras are sixty years old, so one doubts they will go another 60 (but then, neither will I! )

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Here's a shot with my GF670 from Annecy, France. Great camera.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails annecy 2012.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    As I see it, folders from him have had a CLA which would surely be worth a hundred bucks give or take by itself. I have a Perkeo II and an Ercona II from certo6 that I've had a lot of fun with. And indeed, the cost of the film I've put through the Perkeo has probably reached three times what I paid for the camera, especially since I've shot some color and had it lab processed. None the less, if you got a folder in good working condition for $5, you've done well (and been damn lucky!) At the time I bought the aforementioned cameras, I had followed ePrey auctions on some and they went for way more than $5; that plus the CLA and some vague sense of warranty caused me to go to certo6. Of course both those cameras are sixty years old, so one doubts they will go another 60 (but then, neither will I! )
    I agree. While Jurgen is at the top of the market, he is not grossly overpriced. There is value in knowing that you are getting a lens and shutter that are operating as well as they did when they left the factory.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm
    While I might be biased, the Olympus Chrome Sixes are great cameras. You get Olympus build quality and Zuiko optics. Any of the Chrome Sixes are light years ahead of my Isolette. Also, the bellows stand up very well. Out of over a dozen Chrome Sixes in my collection, not one of them has a single pinhole in the bellows. If you are really, really lucky you can find one with the mask to switch between 6x6 and 6x4.5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a beautiful Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 533/16 that has Tessar Disease and could also use a good CLA (otherwise, externally, it looks like it was bought new and put in a drawer for ~60 years). Every time I think I'm going to spend a lot of money to get Jurgen to fix it, I get another camera or something (this time it was a Yashica T4... can you blame me?) It's such a gorgeous folder, though. I really have to put some $$ aside and get it into Jurgen's capable hands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin