Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,680   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Medium Format Folder Options/Feedback?

So I will be graduating soon and want to buy myself a little photography-related present. For a long time I wanted to buy myself a Leica M6 with a 50mm Summicron but lately I have been thinking of maybe buying some more medium format equipment. Therefore I was thinking of possibly buying myself a folder camera in order to combine my love for rangefinders with my love of medium format film.

I thought about maybe getting a Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7 but already have an RZ67 for my "serious" work. This camera would be a fun and light camera I could bring with me without it being too obtrusive.

So far the only folder that has caught my eye is the Fuji GF670. One thing that I really like is you can shoot 6x6 or 6x7. Do you guys have any other suggestions for medium format folders that I could look into?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it sounds like you prefer the modern side of gear, but I think a CLA'd Agfa Isolette wouldn't hurt. Plaubel had a good looking modern MF folder with Nikor lens, but I've only ever seen one in pictures, never in person.
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My brother had a GF670, and we both thought it was just superb. It's only fault in my eyes is the fixed lens, which for me is no big deal, but he wanted a wider angle lens.

I used to have a Mamiya 7, which is a fair bit bigger than the GF670 as it does not fold up, and I did not like the build, but the results are not in question, you've got a choice of lenses, and it's all round pretty nice to use.

For older models, I like the Zeiss Super Ikonta III.

If I was buying myself a present, the GF670 would be way up the list, I think it's one of the finest cameras around at the moment. If you wanted wide angle lenses, I'd also look at the Fotoman Dmini. I have had the Fotoman 69, which is similar, and it's a pretty compelling camera if you want very wide angles on medium format film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should definitely consider a vintage folder (unless you've decided that you want to spend the serious coin that the Fuji GF670/Voigtlander Bessa III requires). Look at the certo6.com site to get an idea of some of the models that are out there, and the formats. I think there's a fair amount more options in 6x6 and 6x9 than in 6x7. I think a nice compromise between capability and size is one of the Zeiss Ikon Mess Ikontas -- either 6x6 or 6x9. These have uncoupled rangefinders, but work quite well, and are available with Tessar lenses. Jurgen (certo6) is a big fan of the Agfa folders, many of which have uncoupled RFs and 4-element (Tessar design) Agfa lenses. The Certo-Six (that's where he got his website name) is a very nice coupled RF 6x6, with a Tessar and Synchro-Compur. A real sleeper. And the old Mamiya Six (not to be confused with the newer one you mentioned) is a very nice camera indeed -- internal focusing!

Shooter
    Large Format
    first, congratulations!

i second the suggestion of the little isolette for fun. i recently purchased one on ebay for very little and love it. i throw it in my purse and go. because it folds no worries about the lens.

this article is the reason i decided to get one. the author's serious cameras are mamiya rb and 645. he speaks about different folding cameras, lenses and shutters: http://www.cleanimages.com/Article-M...YourPocket.asp

i have a mamiya 7 with 80mm and 150mm lenses. i love it, tend to use the 80mm most. i use the RB67 for studio work. i bought the
    7 and both lenses from KEH used some years ago. all in excellent working condition. i wouldn't hesitate to buy from KEH again. all my
    experience with them has been good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a guy on ebay named Jurgen, userid cert06, who specializes in selling CLA'd folders. He's got a pretty good reputation among apug buyers. After watching quite a number of auctions, his buy-it-now prices are really close to the eventual bid price. Depending on model, features and "cool" factor, he has auctions right now ranging from $125 to $350. All are in top shape. I had GAS really bad recently and almost bought one, but decided a new lawn mower would improve my life more than another old camera would.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    There's a guy on ebay named Jurgen, userid cert06, who specializes in selling CLA'd folders. He's got a pretty good reputation among apug buyers. After watching quite a number of auctions, his buy-it-now prices are really close to the eventual bid price. Depending on model, features and "cool" factor, he has auctions right now ranging from $125 to $350. All are in top shape. I had GAS really bad recently and almost bought one, but decided a new lawn mower would improve my life more than another old camera would.
    I have bought two folders from Jurgen, very happy with both. His prices are only a little over the norm, but for that you get a properly serviced camera from a proper company.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I won the lottery the Fuji GF670 would definitely be on my list of cameras to buy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks so much for the great info, I know I can always turn to APUG for awesome advice! The reason I was thinking the GF670 was because it was new and wouldn't require me to get a CLA. It would just be nice to own a new film camera (I've never had a new film camera before haha). But I will definitely check out this Jurgen guys stuff. I had no idea who he was until this thread. Thanks again for the info!

Now you have me looking at Super Ikontas :shakesfist:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haha. They're beautiful pieces of engineering art. I sure want one, but have too much to do learning to use the equipment I already have.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin