Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,945   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Medium Format Folder Options/Feedback?

So I will be graduating soon and want to buy myself a little photography-related present. For a long time I wanted to buy myself a Leica M6 with a 50mm Summicron but lately I have been thinking of maybe buying some more medium format equipment. Therefore I was thinking of possibly buying myself a folder camera in order to combine my love for rangefinders with my love of medium format film.

I thought about maybe getting a Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7 but already have an RZ67 for my "serious" work. This camera would be a fun and light camera I could bring with me without it being too obtrusive.

So far the only folder that has caught my eye is the Fuji GF670. One thing that I really like is you can shoot 6x6 or 6x7. Do you guys have any other suggestions for medium format folders that I could look into?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it sounds like you prefer the modern side of gear, but I think a CLA'd Agfa Isolette wouldn't hurt. Plaubel had a good looking modern MF folder with Nikor lens, but I've only ever seen one in pictures, never in person.
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My brother had a GF670, and we both thought it was just superb. It's only fault in my eyes is the fixed lens, which for me is no big deal, but he wanted a wider angle lens.

I used to have a Mamiya 7, which is a fair bit bigger than the GF670 as it does not fold up, and I did not like the build, but the results are not in question, you've got a choice of lenses, and it's all round pretty nice to use.

For older models, I like the Zeiss Super Ikonta III.

If I was buying myself a present, the GF670 would be way up the list, I think it's one of the finest cameras around at the moment. If you wanted wide angle lenses, I'd also look at the Fotoman Dmini. I have had the Fotoman 69, which is similar, and it's a pretty compelling camera if you want very wide angles on medium format film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should definitely consider a vintage folder (unless you've decided that you want to spend the serious coin that the Fuji GF670/Voigtlander Bessa III requires). Look at the certo6.com site to get an idea of some of the models that are out there, and the formats. I think there's a fair amount more options in 6x6 and 6x9 than in 6x7. I think a nice compromise between capability and size is one of the Zeiss Ikon Mess Ikontas -- either 6x6 or 6x9. These have uncoupled rangefinders, but work quite well, and are available with Tessar lenses. Jurgen (certo6) is a big fan of the Agfa folders, many of which have uncoupled RFs and 4-element (Tessar design) Agfa lenses. The Certo-Six (that's where he got his website name) is a very nice coupled RF 6x6, with a Tessar and Synchro-Compur. A real sleeper. And the old Mamiya Six (not to be confused with the newer one you mentioned) is a very nice camera indeed -- internal focusing!

Shooter
    Large Format
    first, congratulations!

i second the suggestion of the little isolette for fun. i recently purchased one on ebay for very little and love it. i throw it in my purse and go. because it folds no worries about the lens.

this article is the reason i decided to get one. the author's serious cameras are mamiya rb and 645. he speaks about different folding cameras, lenses and shutters: http://www.cleanimages.com/Article-M...YourPocket.asp

i have a mamiya 7 with 80mm and 150mm lenses. i love it, tend to use the 80mm most. i use the RB67 for studio work. i bought the
    7 and both lenses from KEH used some years ago. all in excellent working condition. i wouldn't hesitate to buy from KEH again. all my
    experience with them has been good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a guy on ebay named Jurgen, userid cert06, who specializes in selling CLA'd folders. He's got a pretty good reputation among apug buyers. After watching quite a number of auctions, his buy-it-now prices are really close to the eventual bid price. Depending on model, features and "cool" factor, he has auctions right now ranging from $125 to $350. All are in top shape. I had GAS really bad recently and almost bought one, but decided a new lawn mower would improve my life more than another old camera would.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    There's a guy on ebay named Jurgen, userid cert06, who specializes in selling CLA'd folders. He's got a pretty good reputation among apug buyers. After watching quite a number of auctions, his buy-it-now prices are really close to the eventual bid price. Depending on model, features and "cool" factor, he has auctions right now ranging from $125 to $350. All are in top shape. I had GAS really bad recently and almost bought one, but decided a new lawn mower would improve my life more than another old camera would.
    I have bought two folders from Jurgen, very happy with both. His prices are only a little over the norm, but for that you get a properly serviced camera from a proper company.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I won the lottery the Fuji GF670 would definitely be on my list of cameras to buy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks so much for the great info, I know I can always turn to APUG for awesome advice! The reason I was thinking the GF670 was because it was new and wouldn't require me to get a CLA. It would just be nice to own a new film camera (I've never had a new film camera before haha). But I will definitely check out this Jurgen guys stuff. I had no idea who he was until this thread. Thanks again for the info!

Now you have me looking at Super Ikontas :shakesfist:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haha. They're beautiful pieces of engineering art. I sure want one, but have too much to do learning to use the equipment I already have.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin