Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,158   Online: 938

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bronica SQ shutdown -- stumped

I bought a Bronica Sq-B several months ago, with WLF, two 120 backs, and three lenses, and it has worked flawlessly -- until today. I just loaded film into one of the backs, attached it to the camera, went to turn the film advance lever, and it wouldn't move forward. Then I found out I couldn't get the lens off, no matter how hard I pressed down on the lens release lever (which doesn't budge). And I couldn't get the mirror lockup lever to turn (off N). When I looked inside the body I found that the mirror is locked in the up position. Needless to say, the shutter won't fire either.

I tried all sorts of things -- putting on the other back, taking the dark slide out and inserting it back in, turning the multiple exposure lever on and off, making sure the shutter release lock is off and the battery is good. None of those did any good. I know most of you Sq owners have one of the other Sq models, but I'm hoping that they are similar enough that someone might have a suggestion. Failing that, does anyone know someone in the U.S. who can repair this camera? Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera Wiz (Frank Marshman) is one of the best still doing Bronica repairs.
    540-867-9671
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you tried a new battery? It may be the simplest of problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As i mentioned, the battery test light does light up when I do a check. So I'm assuming it is still good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an SQAi and after not being used for a while it would not fire even though the battery check light lit.

What sorted it for me was cleaning the battery terminals in the camera base. I rubbed all the pins with some fine wet and dry paper and dusted clean and all has been good since. Not sure if the SQB uses the same 4 button type batteries ?

If it does may be worth a try.

I think I have read on the net somewhere also about films backs not being synced with the body properly causing lock ups, may be worth a search.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is one mention of it, 10 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdSLCZlrfk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sircarl View Post
    As i mentioned, the battery test light does light up when I do a check. So I'm assuming it is still good.
    Best not to assume. The light does not put the battery under much load. The battery could be marginal and still put out enough voltage for the light. Or it could be faulty- it does happen.

EDIT: Is the battery lithium? Bronica states specifically that lithium batteries should not be used. They recommend silver oxide as best, followed by alkaline.
    Last edited by lxdude; 03-17-2013 at 11:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I'll be darned. I finally tried cleaning the battery contacts with a Hama pen designed for this purpose, put it back in the camera, and lo and behold, it started working again. Everything back to normal. Thanks so much for your advice!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin