Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,517   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Allow me to add a voice to the "just send it to David Odess" crowd. I got a whole bunch of H-blad stuff from a friend who had inherited it years ago. I didn't trust my own ability to diagnose the problems I found, couldn't tell if it was the backs or the body. He could. Now I won't have to deal with it for another ten years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a Hasselblad owner, but I'm a big fan of refurbishing what you already own, if it's in decent overall condition. You are far more likely to get a reliable piece of gear at the end.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alright you guys convinced me
    All of my kit is from the mid-1970s, and part of me wanted to update to later versions, but I can always just add bits and pieces that I want to upgrade. I'll just start with the body and then eventually the backs. I probably won't do the lenses because they work fine (heavy focus throw aside) and I plan on eventually getting CF lenses down the road I imagine.

Thanks for chiming in everyone, I always appreciate the honest feedback I get here at APUG.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was always turned off by the STIFF focus ring on the C lens, then someone told me "think about how OLD the grease in the lens is." That made me realize that the old dry grease is probably what makes the C lenses so hard to focus. I've dealt with old grease and oils on other stuff, the grease was like semi-dry clay, totally useless as a lubricant, and actually increased friction. I have not had the opportunity to try the focus on a recently serviced C lens, so I don't know how smooth it can get after removing that 40+ year old grease and relubing with new grease.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ag, you could still upgrade to newer gear - but I wouldn't make that eliminate refurbishing your existing gear. Does the new gear add functionality you lack, want or need? If so it's worth a thought.

Still, buying used gear is always a risk and that needs to be considered. Repairing what you have is likely to be cheaper, in the long run.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please check the real cost of the service + shipping with insurance etc.. Based on my experience with old equipment total cost never = listed CLA fee. It can be easily x2 or more. Parts need to be replaced etc.
    I'm not saying that it is not worth to service it but sometimes cost can be really high.

Get the body an Odess CLA. He did mine a year or so ago and I couldn't be happier. Hasselblads are high-end machines. They need a good servicing once in a while. Space it out over a few years and it won't hurt quite so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Waiting on my 503, a back and an 80CF lens to come back from David, should be here tomorrow. Wasn't cheap, but EVERYBODY raves about his work and he is fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used Steve's camera repair on my Rolliecord and he seemed to do a fine job, had shutter cleaned and calibrated and film transport fixed about $180 . Now have to send in my Hassey stuff, he advertises as a Certified Hasselblad repair place.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My UK prices are based on the old Hasselblad UK prices with some slight variations, I am not offering this service to US residents unless they are visiting the UK, this is for your information. International shipping is too big a problem for me to handle. I would like to ask photographers what they look for in a cameras service or CLA as it is called in the US, naturally I know what I mean but what do you think it is or want. I have offered a check to spec service for £1 (does not include return shipping of course) but no takers so far. All the info is on the web page. www.classicv.co.uk

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin