Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,822   Online: 976

Shooter
    Medium Format

Geographical location and selling photos?

Hey guys,

Here an interesting thought.. I may have an opportunity to sell a couple of large photo prints. We have a friend that owns a Furniture Consignment store. I while back I notice she had generic house art displayed on her wall. I was thinking maybe I could see what would happen with one of my photographs, done 16x20 with museum board .. the works. Anyway. I notice where I live there is an over abundance of south western images and art here in New Mexico. Do you think depending on Geographical location is important for the type of images..? Meaning would I have better luck selling a beautiful image of Ancient Indian Ruin image or a image of Paris in the Rain? I'm sure there is Photographers that live on coast fro example.. might have harder time selling images of the Ocean that something different from another part of the country that typically you wouldn't see. Does this make sence?

ToddB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    your best bet is to sell images that match the other decor in the room, but also to keep in mind the kinds of decor the local people have... so if it's a furniture store, fit it with the style of the furniture... but if it's consignment, think about using repurposed frames that would match the style of the furniture as used rather than new etc. just my thoughts, what do I know...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think most geographical locations have decorations, including pictures and photographs that reflect the area. If you have ever rented a beach house, its more likely to be deckd out in beach themed stuff rather than Ming Dynasty decorations. A B&B in New Mexico will be decorated in desert/west themed stuff rather than like a Parisan Cafe. Most places around my home town of Charleston SC have pictures of the iconic monuments and images of the area (cooper river bridge, ocean, some of the older churches, etc).

I'd venture to say if you are selling locally, you would sell a larger volume of prints that pertain to the region.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Also depends if the potential buyers are locals or visitors. Both will have different needs/wants.

That said, I have sold more images of the redwoods than Yosemite here in Humboldt County -- and more images of Yosemite than redwoods at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Valley
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great advice as always guys. Thanks.

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should mention too. There so much southwestern art down here it's nuts. You made a good point on keep the theme of the sorrounding area too. The art she has, is mix bag of recycled stuff that you would in the wall of the furniture store, nothing really exciting. Maybe a good idea to throw in the Paris image. It's timeless and classy.

ToddB

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin