Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,019   Online: 774

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you're the least bit mechanically oriented, fungus like you have shown can be cleaned up quickly with a Q-tip and alcohol. If it is on the backside of the front element, a spanner wrench will remove the retaining ring and the front element will fall out. Clean and replace. Only the cost of a spanner is involved. Since the gravity of the problem is less than the one shown in the post I would be reaching for my spanner. I've done several worse than shown and fungus has not returned.

As for buying in HK, if you have ever been there it is one of the most humid places on the earth. I don't doubt NOS lenses from HK have fungus.
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 03-20-2013 at 05:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate finding a "good deal" only to receive something with a deal killing flaw. Then not only am I out the joy of finding a bargain, but then pay return shipping...

Shooter
    35mm
    My Grandad used to say "buy cheap, buy twice". Not saying that you can't get a good bargain, but if you're not happy with something, I'd return it. You never be comfortable with it, and, should you ever want to sell it again, a prospective buyer may well pick on the same issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...you could always send the photo and request a refund equivalent to cleaning and it'll save you the shipping costs back that they likely will not refund.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I'm definitely not going to take the lens apart and risk damaging it when I can just return it, I have no experience with lens repair. Also, I've read that there's always a chance the mold will return. As for having it cleaned by a professional, unfortunately I think it would cost more than the lens itself at this point, not to mention the turnaround time might be extensive. Fortunately I bought it from a very reputable seller (I always do), and he's already said he's sorry for the trouble and will refund me. If I'm lucky maybe he can find a replacement lens instead, that would be ideal. It's not like these things are hard to find in Tokyo after all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately, this is just how it goes buying used. Know what the common flaws are and don't be afraid to return it, it's your only defense. I can't tell you how many defective lenses and cameras I have purchased that were supposedly checked out, don't vacillate for a second about fungus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I've been very fortunate over the years about used gear, but I'm always careful about what I buy and from whom. I've shipped the lens back to the seller now and he's been very supportive so far. He says he's going to refund my return shipping charges AND he's going to find me a replacement lens and ship it to me within a week. Now this is the way you do business if you ask me. If everything pans out I will have no qualms buying from this seller again, in fact I might even become a regular customer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin