Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,681   Online: 861

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Lens with scratch, return or not return?

I just bought a new lens for my rz67 and on close inspection I found what looks like a scratch/scratches in the corner of the front element. The scratches are shaped like lightning (never seen anything like it) and I think they're just in the coating, but I can't be sure. Should I be worried? I got a pretty good price on it, but it was advertized as "superb, close to mint condition", should I return it?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not likely it will affect the image it will produce. But... you are already indicating you are dissatisfied and that's the general tone of your question.

If this is the case, regardless of it will have any material effects or not, you will see that scratches every time and it will bother you as long as you own that lens. I'm the same way. I'd return it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like it could be fungus -

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flash26c View Post
    Sounds like it could be fungus -
    Yeah, I just looked at some pictures of lens fungus and the pattern does look similar. Sort of like this, but much less severe:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5531552262_cf9c483723_b.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	66006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's FUNGUS! Branching lines are a sure sign.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alright, it's going back to the seller then. Thanks for the help guys.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    amsp, don't even mess with buying used lenses for RZ - when out of Japan and Hong Kong on EBay you can get new, old stock lenses for pennies on the dollar. But be sure to check those too for early fungus.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I bought this on eBay from Tokyo actually. Except for the fungus it was pretty minty. The most annoying part is that I got it for a very good price. *Sigh*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well -- annoying. And it'll bug you, I am sure. But I would be surprised if if affects the images, and as long as you don't store it in the dark, I wouldn't be surprised if the fungus never gets worse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I keep all of my gear in the dark really, usually in bags. Either way it's just too risky keeping a moldy lens around anyway, and I know it would bug me to no end. As I make my living with this gear in the end I prefer paying more to get a good copy if I have to. Of course that doesn't mean I don't try to find a good deal when I can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin