Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,697   Online: 883

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used the Speed handheld before, and will not use a tripod. I've been there as a tourist many times but this is the frist time I'll have a chance to go and just take photos.

The max I'm going to enlarge the negs are 11x14 so I know even 120 will give me great prints at the size, so its still a 50-50 choice for me. a 50 pack of 4x5 film is cheap, so film costs are not a issue for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've handheld my pacemaker as well as long as there is ample light and use a 400 speed film.
    My rangefinder was good for that one 135 I had so it is def doable.

I just think the RZ is a bit more manageable film wise and I have an AE prism so its a no brainer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think you answered the question when you said you would hand-hold the SG. My initial response was going to depend on your subject matter. For general shooting, the RZ is faster handling and easier to load. If you were going to shoot a lot of Manhattan architecture, the view camera and tripod would allow you to keep verticals vertical. But you eliminated the tripod, so the SG is not going to be used as a true view camera for perspective purposes. So we end up with the RZ.
    Regards, Pete Lewin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Excellent advice Scott.
    Plus…cant they harass you for a permit if you are wielding a tripod? ? ?
    There's a rule about tripods in New York - I forget exactly where it's posted but google it and you'll find it. The gist of it is that no permit is needed if it is just you and your tripod. If you are doing a commercial shoot that requires a crew (I think the minimum is three, but double-check), then you will need one. The permits are easy to obtain - I think you download a form from the city website, fill it out and fax it back to the proper office, and they'll send you back a permit (usually within 24 hours of them getting your request). I'd be surprised if there was no exception clause that would allow policemen to request you to move if you're set up somewhere that would block pedestrian traffic and/or create a hazardous situation if you don't have a permit. I know the permit question has been discussed here before and also on Large Format Info, so search both sites for the specifics.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You want to use the Speed Graphic. Go with your instinct. Ignore all RZ (I have one of those too) comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    You want to use the Speed Graphic. Go with your instinct. Ignore all RZ (I have one of those too) comments.
    +1

Go have fun. Load up a few Grafmatics and shoot the town. I love medium format but there is nothing like a 4x5 to bring home the detail, and there is tons of detail to find on the streets of Manhattan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My personal approach would be to get a cheap 35mm SLR with 35 or 50mm lens for £40 (which you will recoup on reduced film costs), travel light, walk lots and be more spontaneous. I think you will end up with more strong images as a result. Besides, the right shot in 35mm can go as big as you want when it comes to prints (for street) so format is a non-issue.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Go with the Speed, and bring along a roll film back as a back-up for when you run through your sheet film supply.

Or, just visit B&H and pick up another 50 pack of 4x5.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

RZ or SG for street photography

Just FYI if you plan to use a tripod anywhere, be prepared to be harassed by policemen, they don't allow the use of anything that they consider and obstruction to movement, I've been removed from many of the classic shooting spots like grand central or Times Square, because you can't use a tripod there. They claim you could trip someone and that's the reason.

Anyway, that's the only reason I vote for the RZ, the SG would be better otherwise for detail in such intricate environments.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

RZ or SG for street photography

Oh and I agree don't bring a lot of film just buy fresh from B&H

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin