Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,214   Posts: 1,532,110   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

RZ or SG for street photography

I'm going on a business trip to Manhattan in a few weeks, luckily this time I'll have a weekend off to do whatever I want. I'm staying at a hotel in the fashion district and want to take a camera along for some street photography.

I was thinking of taking my RZ67 with a 110mm and two backs, one with HP5 and the other with Portra 400 or my 4x5 Speed Graphic with a 135mm and 20 holders with HP5 and portra 400 as well. I don't care about the weight since I carry either camera when I go hiking anyway. It would be awesome to have some 4x5 negs of Manhattan, and I'd love the chance to use the crap out of the speed for a day, but its also nice to blast though 20 rolls of 120 and not care.

I can only fit one camera in my carry on, so bringing two is not an option. Any pros/cons? What would you do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RZ unless you want to find Louis Mendoza and get a shot with the 2 of you for a keepsake of your trip.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you are shooting hand held I would go with the RZ. If you are using a tripod I would use the Speed Graphic.

In my opinion 4x5 sheet film costs too much to shoot hand held.

I don't know how often you get to Manhattan but for me it would be a first experience so I would shoot 4x5 on a tripod if that's possible with all the people.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was there last week and saw someone with a Speed and a Gralite flash taking photos but it wasn't Louis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the tripod issue, so if you are using a tripod, by all means use the SG!
    On the other hand you are very limited in the amount of frames you can take, at least much more than with the RZ. The RZ and 110 re a great combination and produce some fine negs. I usually take my RZ over my 4x5s in cities, since you never know when you have to 'sneak in' a frame and for me setup is just faster.
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about the SG on a monopod? Not as good as a tripod surely, but you can probably get half the shutter speeds than handheld.
    But if you're going to shoot 120 rolls anyway to save on cost, just take the RZ...

(personally, I'd take the RZ, or in my case Hasselbladski because I don't have an RZ)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I was there last week and saw someone with a Speed and a Gralite flash taking photos but it wasn't Louis.

Yea, soon the tourists will have press cameras and we will be reduced to 110 Kodak Instamatics so we can remain "hip"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Speed Graphic plus tripod will be such an encumbrance on the streets of Manhattan, especially your first time there as a tourist, that I'd avoid that option and go with the RZ. Especially since the SG will limit the number of shots you can take and you'll always be second-guessing yourself as to whether you should take a given shot or not. And then you'll take one, walk around the corner, and find a much better shot waiting to happen that you CAN'T take because you're out of film, or you know you need to save film for other shots you want to get, etc etc. Although frankly I'd rather have my Rolleiflex than an RZ for street shooting (much stealthier, lighter and easier to carry, 12 shots vs. 10).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent advice Scott.
    Plus…cant they harass you for a permit if you are wielding a tripod? ? ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You should check to make sure that you can use a tripod. Some cities don't permit tripods because they impede pedestrian traffic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin