Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,424   Online: 718

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RB67 film problem?

I developed two rolls of FP4+ in a Patterson tank today. The roll nearest the bottom of the tank turned out fine, the top one came out completely clear. The writing Ilford puts on the film was perfectly legible however. I checked the lenses, and they are fine - although I used more than one lens for each roll in any case and never really thought the lens(es) were the problem. This was my 77th and 78th rolls through a camera bought new by me, and it's never happened before. but I'm wondering if I could have made a mistake in loading the film? I'm not even sure it's possible to mis-load the film, but I'm clutching at straws here. I didn't notice anything unusual when advancing the film between shots.

I'd be most grateful for any ideas. The film holder (same one for both rolls), camera and lenses seem to be functiong fine, and I'm sure the darkroom work wasn't at fault, so it must be something I've done.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Did you leave the darkslide in? I think it is possible to load the film backwards so that the paper is between it and the lens, but you'd probably not see the START arrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance you developed an unexposed roll?

If so your other, exposed roll is hiding somewhere .

Do you know if the problem free roll was exposed first or second?

Is there any chance the darkslide was in part way - enough to block the light but not enough to engage the interlock?

Did you have the mirror lock-up set to on on the lenses?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't think of any other explanations. If the dark slide was inserted but pulled out just a bit it would allow the camera to function normally. Also developing an unexposed roll could be the cause, but I would think you would have noticed that when loading onto the reel. Loading the film backwards into the back seems unlikely...
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you were able to see the frame markings on the film, the development was fine, but the role was unexposed.
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not a problem, but an intentionally designed function. It allows you to test the shutter when film is loaded without exposing the film to any light! I won't go so far as to say that Mamiya addressed the Hasselblad problem, but it is a useful function.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Any chance you developed an unexposed roll?

If so your other, exposed roll is hiding somewhere .

Do you know if the problem free roll was exposed first or second?

Is there any chance the darkslide was in part way - enough to block the light but not enough to engage the interlock?

Did you have the mirror lock-up set to on on the lenses?
    This covers everything I can think of...

What camera model is it? RB67 Pro, RB67 ProS, or RB67 ProSD?

Frustrating! Hope you can get it figured out.

Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a RB67 Pro SD
    I always pull the darkside out completely, so that wasn't it.
    I always use the mirror lock-up.
    The problem film was loaded first, a few weeks ago. I just finished it that day then loaded the one that turned out ok.
    I got a sick feeling when I read Matt's suggestion that I might have developed the wrong roll, but that wasn't it.
    I must have somehow loaded the film wrong. Now I'm thinking I should check all 3 of the loaded magazines.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I always use the mirror lock-up.
    Johnny:

I think this is where your problem is. For some reason, the shutters in the lenses didn't open for your shots on that roll.

It could be a problem with the cable release you were using.

Are all your lenses K/L lenses?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, all 3 lenses are K/L lenses, purchased new by me. I tested the lenses with and without the mirror lock-up, and could see the shutter opening each time. However, you might be right about the cable release. I'll re-do the test with the other cable release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin