Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 749

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's possible to DIY recementing, as an option. Edmund Optics among other places sells the appropriate UV-curing cements. The main trick is removing old cement/balsam, and realigning the elements while new cement sets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    It's possible to DIY recementing, as an option. Edmund Optics among other places sells the appropriate UV-curing cements. The main trick is removing old cement/balsam, and realigning the elements while new cement sets.
    I recemented a Rapid Rectilinear on a Kodak folder, using balsam harvested locally - direct from the tree. The only "treatment" I used for the balsam was to leave it in a warm dark place for a few days, until the chunks of tree settled to the bottom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Fungus is another often misapplied term - you see and hear it very often it seems, but in all the decades I've been using lenses I've yet to have a lens afflicted with fungus. YMMV.
    Obviously, you don't buy lenses off Ebay often enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Or even from 'reputable' dealers... you should look at the pile of 300 f/2.8s (35mm) I went through during the last 6 months... enough fungus to start a mushroom farm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Apparently not. I don't shop at WalMart either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    Or even from 'reputable' dealers... you should look at the pile of 300 f/2.8s (35mm) I went through during the last 6 months... enough fungus to start a mushroom farm.
    Dear Lord no! I buy lenses from miscreants and reprobates exclusively.

I once traded for a 9 1/2" Dagor/Compound, at a camera show. The Dagor has a gouge just about in the center of the rear element. That dirty rotten scoundrel relieved me of a pre-AI 50mm f:2 Nikkor-S, and he didn't even give me any India ink to black out the scratch! @#$$%@@#&%&##+&.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Dear Lord no! I buy lenses from miscreants and reprobates exclusively.
    What are you talking about, E.?

I have never sold you any lenses!

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    There's some separation on the Tessar 45 on my ZI Contaflex II. Mr. Jon Goodman who frequently makes wry (and quite funny) comments on these forums, and who used to repair Contaflexes et. al, said that lens-separation is pretty common among these models.
    Are you sure that it isn't coating damage rather than lens separation? I'm looking at the manual for the Contaflex II and it shows a normal Tessar, with a cemented lens group in the rear, not in the front.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    Are you sure that it isn't coating damage rather than lens separation? I'm looking at the manual for the Contaflex II and it shows a normal Tessar, with a cemented lens group in the rear, not in the front.
    I am not sure ... looks like lens separation and Jon seemed to think that's what it was.

This is all I know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 533/16 has this problem. The camera itself is aesthetically gorgeous but I really have to get it off to someone who knows these cameras well to get it back into operating order.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin