Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,548   Online: 1168

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree that when you run into photography ego it can be very bad, but the opposite can be true (if less frequent). I said "hi" to another photog doing street photography with a full digital kit one day. I had my Kiev 4, and he came over smiling and asked if it was one of the new Fujis. When I said no, it's a film camera, he just snorted, turned and walked away without another word. But at almost the same location a couple of weeks later, I found myself reluctant to approach a group of young dancers doing a street performance. Another photographer saw me, came over out of his way, and asked if I was there to shoot them. He then dragged me forward, introduced me to his daughter, who was one of the dancers, and told them that I was going to get in close for some shots. So maybe we just have extreme personalities, both good and bad. I think those of us who are most secure in our own self-image are more likely to treat others with kindness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats why zoom lenses from 28-300mm sell so well. They can do everything and are really big and important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's true in any field where equipment is involved. People tend to get obsessed with equipment and compare theirs against ones everyone else have. It is also my observation that true masters doesn't care much about what everybody else is doing.... or having the most expensive for him/herself. They get what they need and make the best out of them.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While there is much debate about the relationship of price to quality, it would be fascinating to see a study on the relationship of price to attitude of owner. To some degree I think we all fall prey to the temptation to love our expensive gear more than our cheap gear. Loving cheap gear is a distinctly counter-cultural move that often invites derision but also serves as the foundation for much camaraderie.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    people with huge egos are usually just the opposite in real life

Shooter
    Multi Format

Where does Small Format fit?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    Thats why zoom lenses from 28-300mm sell so well. They can do everything and are really big and important.
    If I shoot with a 16mm Minox, what does that say about me?

FL Guy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    This is not just in photography, but life in general. There are some famous photographers with very little talent and massive egos. At the same time there are very talented photographers who are almost invisible by their modesty. The same applies to most walks of life.
    I think this comment ended the conversation almost immediately. I cannot stand the "is that a Leica/Hasselblad?" conversation. For me, it's kind of like, "Hey, do you have a penis? Let's see what you got there". Equipment shouldn't bring about camaraderie -style, technique and skill should.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe...

But then I'd also bet that even Michelangelo had a favorite set of chiesels, and was not averse to discussing their merits and shortcomings within his circle of peers. He was also a professional, you know.

No matter how pure you think yourself to be, unless you're doing everything completely inside your head you gotta' work with something in your hands.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot a Mamiya RB67. The "RB" stands for "Real Bad-a$$"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used to have a huge ego, photographically-speaking. It outweighed my actual ability, but I knew I was the best photographer within 100 miles of wherever I happened to be at any given time.

Now I have either acknowledged my place, or I am very specific about what I am superior for...

Today I am the very best photographer developing 4x5 negatives taken on TMY-2 in D-76, shots of his daughter making her very first snow angel... And the chemistry is at 68.22 degrees F

Dang it, I just spilled half the tray into the tempering bath. Well, taking no chances, instead of just going for it, I'm adding 9 more ounces stock and 9 more ounces water... Add a little hot water to the tempering bath... now it's 68.90 degrees F... It's now or never...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin