Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,732   Online: 859

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Oh, don't start this old pagan on photo stores lecturing me as to why I am "still using film". The local store near me has sold out to digital hook, line and sinker: nothing for analogue at all, nor will anything be ordered in if it is for film photography; chemicals on the shelf are out of date, boxes of Ilford film are dusty and dirty. Only the display cases are cleaned daily because, "nobody uses film anymore, only you!".
    I was in my local professional dealers recently to buy some Kodak Portra the guy who owns the store served me, he only had one five roll pack in stock, and when I asked him why that's all he had, he said " the majority of my customers are pro's and almost none of them shoot film, in fact it's becoming so expensive that even less of them are using it".
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-03-2013 at 09:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I remember a really good salesman back in the 70's at a camera shop here, who would inform those equipment-centric guys who thought nothing but Nikon and Nikkor could measure up, that W. Eugene Smith took his famous Minamata image with a Minolta SR-T 101.
    he also used olympus pen ft 1/2 frame cameras
    http://fotophilosophy.files.wordpres...uspenf-ad1.jpg
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, don't start this old pagan on photo stores lecturing me as to why I am "still using film". The local store near me has sold out to digital hook, line and sinker: nothing for analogue at all, nor will anything be ordered in if it is for film photography; chemicals on the shelf are out of date, boxes of Ilford film are dusty and dirty. Only the display cases are cleaned daily because, "nobody uses film anymore, only you!".
    Photography stores unfortunately don't exist to further the interests of the art and science of photography, only to try and make a prifit for the owners, and to stock products that are perishable don't sell quickley and in any volume is finacial suicide.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Big block or small block?
    The V8 is an intermediate size. The V5 is the smallblock, the V11 the bigblock. The V5 with a 4x5 back is sort of comparable to a 327 with a 283 crank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, in spite of all the horror stories I have been pleased to find some very good camera stores that still serve the needs of film photographers. I spent the last 6 months living in Colorado Springs; not exactly an "artsy" town to say the least. And yet there are two very good shops that carry a decent selection of film, are happy to take my film for development, and sell lots of darkroom supplies and chemicals. And then I recently visited a place in North Hollywood that was an absolute dream! I'm not mentioning names here because I don't want to be mistaken for someone trying to get cheap advertising. But the place in North Hollywood had a huge selection of chemicals, lots of film and a very nice photo exhibit on display. I left a nice chunk of money in their cash register but came home very happy! A couple years ago I also found two very nice stores that carry film and film cameras as well as chemicals in Houston! So far, pretty much everywhere I've looked in the U.S. I've found decent stores.

Normally I live in Tokyo and this place is just plain hard to beat. Every type of photography is fully covered here!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

I belong to a photography group (it's not a club!) made up primarily of people who have been avid photographers, teacher, professionals, artists, etc., for many years. There are those with the latest, most expensive gear who love their gear, there are those that love the latest software, and there are those of us who continue to use cameras older than we are. Ego clashes are few because everyone learns from everyone else, and it became apparent to me long ago that one's ability to photograph has nothing to do with the gear in hand. That's not to say we don't tease each other about things, but it's good-natured.

Photographers with big egos are plenty abundant, though. I think it's often a protective mechanism. They've earned a big account or job, or landed a big gallery show, and they'll do anything to protect their client and status. If they have to constantly impress art directors and ad agencies, they'll do what it takes. There are just as many out there who are plain, friendly folks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    A front page newspaper article on a show of my new work runs tomorrow...
    Good for you! Congratulations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You think some photographers have over-large egos?

You should spend some time with lawyers!

Or dentists, or surgeons, or realtors, or carpenters, or plumbers, or fallers, or auto mechanics, or farm workers, or ......

In my experience, over-large egos are spread pretty evenly through the population.

And there is an equal distribution of quiet, relatively selfless people as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You think some photographers have over-large egos?

You should spend some time with lawyers!

Or dentists, or surgeons, or realtors, or carpenters, or plumbers, or fallers, or auto mechanics, or farm workers, or ......

In my experience, over-large egos are spread pretty evenly through the population.

And there is an equal distribution of quiet, relatively selfless people as well.
    Agreed. They do tend to clump around certain professions and activities though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Permit me to observe that ego is rampant amongst digital photographers who somehow think their cameras, doing all the thinking for them, are better than a photographer with 30 years' experience and knowing exactly how the image will turn out even if blindfolded. Maybe besides the point, but how does medium format relate to ego, prey tell? It might be a bit more prevalent amongst LF and ULF users.
    Not really. LF and ULF just gives you more ways to screw up. It can be very humbling actually.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin