Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,502   Online: 858

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    As soon as the weather gets warmer I will be out with a Bronica GS-1 with a 120 back, a 50/4.5 lens, a prism finder and a speed grip. I don't think it will be confused with a digital camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've found folks in my area that just love seeing the old film cameras. Even many of the digital shooters express interest. I got questioned by a Polizei, who looked into my camera and expressed some joy at having seen how photography used to be.

We also have the "I'm a pro photographer..." types with their fancy Nikons and so on who think film is so tacky. Many even ask is my cameras can shoot color. Really, you're a "pro," and you have to ask that? What makes them so funny is that they're often striving to copy every other "pro's" style and Facebook stuff, so you end up with the real pros profiting from the fauxs, and exposing their weaknesses almost every time.

As for me, I'm just happy to get out make my images, and even happier when they come out exactly as I'd envisioned. I enjoy the conversations my camera inspires and there are plenty of folks whose curiosity makes for some nice ones. The rest just get filed away with the paper backing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Not really. LF and ULF just gives you more ways to screw up. It can be very humbling actually.
    Yes, but when one reaches the stage when one no longer screws up... (Chrysler tower smiley)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes, but when one reaches the stage when one no longer screws up... (Chrysler tower smiley)
    That happens??

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    ... Equipment shouldn't bring about camaraderie -style, technique and skill should.
    IDK about that. I was shooting Little League Baseball last weekend with a Hasselblad. Nobody paid any attentionto me until all of the sudden one of the Umps walked over and asked, "So, you're shooting with a Hasselblad today, eh?". He also mentioned that "way back when" he worked as a wedding photographer's assistant and loaded plenty of Hasselblad magazines. Since then we've been good buddies... all because of some random gear talk. What's so wrong with that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    That happens??

Ken
    Sure!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When I'm out with a view camera and someone asks questions about it I always go out of my way to engage with them, even though sometimes I don't feel like it. If people are excited by what is different for them then I think that's pretty cool.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the topic got a little abscured. I have no problem explaining to people with my Rollei's maybe I'm coverting people to come to the darkside. (pun). I just think it's funny with "Mine is better than your's'. attitude. It's so true about other Egos with other career fields.. I'm sure the lawyers are way up there and you could cut it with a knife. My aplogies too in posting in Medium format.. Thats what I shoot and should of posted in general comment section.

ToddB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    IDK about that. I was shooting Little League Baseball last weekend with a Hasselblad. Nobody paid any attentionto me until all of the sudden one of the Umps walked over and asked, "So, you're shooting with a Hasselblad today, eh?". He also mentioned that "way back when" he worked as a wedding photographer's assistant and loaded plenty of Hasselblad magazines. Since then we've been good buddies... all because of some random gear talk. What's so wrong with that?
    Anything for the team, Brian. It never hurts to get the umps on your side!

Alan (former select fastpitch softball assistant manager) Gales

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In the end, regardless of the field of endeavor, it all comes down to how you're using the tool you have. Are you using it to take advantage of its unique properties, or are you using it as compensation for personal inadequacy (or, as I like to refer to them (specifically sportscars), PCDs (Penis Compensation Devices))?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin