Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,062   Online: 840

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    In the end, regardless of the field of endeavor, it all comes down to how you're using the tool you have. Are you using it to take advantage of its unique properties, or are you using it as compensation for personal inadequacy (or, as I like to refer to them (specifically sportscars), PCDs (Penis Compensation Devices))?
    "Quick! Call the Doctor! It's been over FOUR Hours!" (for the PCD)

I enjoy going out with my Leica IIIa, I always get comments about film availability, and all that other crap. I am out to please ME! My GF can be a PITA because I don't want to take the Nikon, I bought it for her to use, keeps her off my back.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    When I'm out with a view camera and someone asks questions about it I always go out of my way to engage with them, even though sometimes I don't feel like it. If people are excited by what is different for them then I think that's pretty cool.
    Me too. I try to educate and show people film is still out there and going strong. I'm part of a "Instant Film Society" group and they had a spot on the local news and that got a lot of people interested and joined the next meeting. People think "instant film" is completely gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've run into a few Pro photographers while out shooting. The most recent was at a local farm. I was shooting my RB67. A guy walks out of a door and starts asking about my camera. Turns out hes a pro who shoots mostly sports and sports team portraits, but was there shooting some freelance stuff for a local kitchen tour. He started talking to me about how he remembered the "film days". In the end, he actually offered to sell me his old Bronica ETRS, 2 120 backs, a 75mm and 150mm lens and speed grip for $200! Thats at least $600 worth of equipment on the used market. He said he had held onto it hoping to shoot film more, but it just never happened. He would rather see it go to good use by someone still shooting film than have it just sit on his shelf.

Not all encounters with professionals are bad ones!

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I have everything from a Minox to an Ansco portrait camera on a crank stand. I seem to remember something about caring what other people thought, but its hazy now. is that ego? I have to admit I don't really get it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    It is not their egos that are large, it is their insecurities that are huge.
    To paraphrase Norma Desmond, "It's not their egos that are large, it's that the cameras got small".

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photography and Egos...

As one who shoots digital and analog, I have come to the point that if you think your equipment, process, or media makes you superior, then why do you really need to trip the shutter at all?

Dry plate isn't wet plate, sheet film isn't dry plate, medium format is not large format, roll film is not sheet film, 35mm is not medium format, 110 is not 35mm, full frame digital is not film, APS-C is not full frame.

So....?

I have 4x5, medium format (sheet and roll film), Hasselblad, Mamiya, Rollei, Contax, Canon, Aires, Graflex, Bush, Pentax, Mercury, Yashica, Lytro, and more...

Not a one of them makes me any better of a photographer. Some make it easier to do certain things. I love them for their strengths, and try to work around their weaknesses. Each has a place and a time. But absolutely none of them makes me any better.

If I'm carrying one of the Hasselbads, and I see you with a 110, I'll not feel better than you. Most likely I'll enjoy taking a look at it and talking shop. If anything I may ask you to take a shot or two with my camera. Why? I get to see a little bit of how you see the world. Isn't that why we look at each others images in the first place?

And if I'm really lucky, you will let me take a shot two with yours. (Try that with a penis.. :wink: )
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    To paraphrase Norma Desmond, "It's not their egos that are large, it's that the cameras got small".
    That's funny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not really traveled in photography circles; basically just take snapshots and pick stuff up from camera stores.
    To me, it seems the egos have dropped a bit in the consumer area since the digital camera phase gave way to the smart phone phase. The latest camera is no longer something to brag about - it's become saturated and yesterday's news.
    When I run around with my film camera no one tells me how great their digital camera is anymore. Either we go on about our business with a nod, or they actually ask me about the camera, with genuine interest. If someone pulls out a flip-phone, though, it can get ugly.

As for people with Pro rigs (film or digital), I'd rarely bumped into the egos. Usually they are too focused on setting up a shot to really notice small cameras, tourists, or natural disasters unrelated to their subject. I find an higher percentage of egos among car enthusiasts.

We did call my brother's wedding photographer the "camera nazi," but it wasn't ego so much as being a control freak, and not in the least bit personable.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting thread. What I've always heard is a good photographer can make a good image with whatever camera they have handy.

I've gotten mostly positive reactions when I break out the older cameras. In some ways it's like classic cars....part of the fun is when others enjoy seeing the old gear
    I do believe it is the tool for the job. If I want to be 100% sure I'm going to capture something I'll bring the digital since I can seen on the spot that I've got something. I'd also bring the Big film camera to hopefully get the image quality you can only get from MF or LF film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had a blast setting up the 11x14 in a fern covered canyon earlier this week. Before I moved the camera into position, one dad hiked by with a couple on small kids and he lifted them up to see the GG as I walked in front of the camera so they could see me upside down. I let several other folks look thru the camera before moving the whole rig into position in the creek. No worries about anyone bothering me once I was in the creek!

But I agree that inflated ego are in all fields. But I go with the theory that there are just a four different types of personalities that people are born with (and most of us are mixes of those four). But some are very strong in the type who believe innately that they are right...always right. And the only reason you would disagree with them is 1) because you are stupid or 2) you are purposefully disagreeing with them to bug them, to get to them. And the more you try to make your point clear, the stupider they think you are. It is not an ego thing, it is a basic personality trait. I was married to one of these personality types...it was not fun.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin