Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,189   Online: 1114

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why would you want to marry one of those?
    Seriously, do we not all have an ego. In some way or another, I dare to say in younger years it may be more pronounced, since we have to get humbled.
    To succumb to a kind of ego thing is sweet and easy, just like eating the apple. I believe it is a driving force in humans in some way. The search for love or recognition. We need to learn how to go about it.
    Come on when walking down the street with a camera ( dare I mention a Leica M without getting spat on) and a young woman calls "Sexy, M6, sexy".
    That made me feel like a god, and it went down like warm oil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only time I ever run into chest-thumping is on forums.* Out in the real world, my encounters with other photographers are few, and distant. Once recently I was shooting in a foggy park overlooking the city; another guy had an MF camera of some kind on a tripod, setting up a shot. Several minutes later I was examining the scene through the viewfinder; the guy wandered down the hill in the direction I was aiming and said "Let me know if I'm in your way".

* One notable exception: A former coworker, new to photography, had been quizzing me for several weeks about the effects of aperture and shutter speed on an image. I told him much of my photography was taken in manual mode, using a handheld meter. He had just recently bought a brand-spanking-new 5D2 and a bagful of L primes, then a 1DS3 came a month or so later. He complained to me that his images were coming out so dark there wasn't any image to see. I suggested he switch to Aperture priority. That, apparently, did the trick. In spite of that, he was constantly deriding me for choosing to use film.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I had a blast setting up the 11x14 in a fern covered canyon earlier this week. Before I moved the camera into position, one dad hiked by with a couple on small kids and he lifted them up to see the GG as I walked in front of the camera so they could see me upside down. I let several other folks look thru the camera before moving the whole rig into position in the creek. No worries about anyone bothering me once I was in the creek!

But I agree that inflated ego are in all fields. But I go with the theory that there are just a four different types of personalities that people are born with (and most of us are mixes of those four). But some are very strong in the type who believe innately that they are right...always right. And the only reason you would disagree with them is 1) because you are stupid or 2) you are purposefully disagreeing with them to bug them, to get to them. And the more you try to make your point clear, the stupider they think you are. It is not an ego thing, it is a basic personality trait. I was married to one of these personality types...it was not fun.
    Vaughan, that's not a trait, it's a disorder. Could be one of two or three.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    The only time I ever run into chest-thumping is on forums.* Out in the real world, my encounters with other photographers are few, and distant. Once recently I was shooting in a foggy park overlooking the city; another guy had an MF camera of some kind on a tripod, setting up a shot. Several minutes later I was examining the scene through the viewfinder; the guy wandered down the hill in the direction I was aiming and said "Let me know if I'm in your way".

* One notable exception: A former coworker, new to photography, had been quizzing me for several weeks about the effects of aperture and shutter speed on an image. I told him much of my photography was taken in manual mode, using a handheld meter. He had just recently bought a brand-spanking-new 5D2 and a bagful of L primes, then a 1DS3 came a month or so later. He complained to me that his images were coming out so dark there wasn't any image to see. I suggested he switch to Aperture priority. That, apparently, did the trick. In spite of that, he was constantly deriding me for choosing to use film.
    Most beginers believe as I did over fifty years ago when I started that photography is a problem that can be solved by throwing money at it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I took the 14x17 out this weekend to Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia. I got a lot of inquiries, and for the most part significant respect for shooting it. I did still get folks giving me crap about using film though, although when I told them to do the math on pixel equivalent, that shut them up... roughly 1.3 Gigapixels at 2400ppi, or 4+ Gigapixels from a drum scan. The biggest hassle was folks so lost in their own little worlds they couldn't be bothered to either not block hallways or to look before walking through the middle of a scene. Fortunately, reciprocity failure works on my behalf when I'm doing a 3-minute exposure and unless they parked themselves in the middle of a shot for the better part of 2 minutes, they weren't going to record anyway.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Told you I was good. I just have to be very specific.

Best daughter's first snow angel on 4x5 TMY-2 (contact print) on Galerie 2.

Now you don't have to one-up me. My ego can share the spotlight if someone here has done better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Told you I was good. I just have to be very specific.

Best daughter's first snow angel on 4x5 TMY-2 (contact print) on Galerie 2.

Now you don't have to one-up me. My ego can share the spotlight if someone here has done better.
    Fantastic!
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The V8 is an intermediate size. The V5 is the smallblock, the V11 the bigblock. The V5 with a 4x5 back is sort of comparable to a 327 with a 283 crank.
    And my V8 with a 4x5 back is a Chevy Chevette with a 350 in it. Only better built.

I do get more weird remarks when I am out with my rb67 though. people don't recognize it anymore. They think it's a movie camera.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    a Chevy Chevette with a 350 in it.
    That's a frightening thought.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    a Chevy Chevette with a 350 in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    That's a frightening thought.
    I saw one once at a drag strip. Full roll cage, tubbed, etc. - an all-out dragster (actually, it may have been larger than 350 c.i./5.7L). My friend and I just shook our heads when we were checking it out because the wheelbase was too small (though we did like it).
    On the car's first test run, the driver had to shut it down halfway down the track because it was all over the place (due to the short wheelbase). He still pulled low 12s.
    Truzi

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin