Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,888   Online: 1199

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Photography and Egos...

Hey guys,

Have you noticed with this industry threre is alot of big egos? There has several instances where I've been out shooting, where I observed people been very erogant with photography. The bigger the camera the bigger the ego. Kind of like having P---- envy. What is it?

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This is not just in photography, but life in general. There are some famous photographers with very little talent and massive egos. At the same time there are very talented photographers who are almost invisible by their modesty. The same applies to most walks of life.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Deardorff V8; I've no idea what you're talking about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe not the size, but also the age? Or even just the fact of shooting film at all?

I've been out shooting with my EOS 3, and I've had opposite reactions from people. Everything from, "wow, can you still buy film", "wow, you shoot film, that's so cool" (these two are thankfully more common), to, "dude, get a real camera" (at which point I whip out the mamiya 645af if i've got it handy).
    Sad thing is, it also happens when I've got my 7D (still a current-model, and still a very good one at that), I've had derogatory comments from 5D3 owners (because yeah, I can afford a $3000 camera that costs $4000 in Australia. When it came out I did the sums on film costs and bought the 3 instead), along the lines of, "out of the way, amateur" (sometimes substitute 'amateur' for 'tourist', even in my home town).

Mostly, it's all good though, Street shooting my Bessa L with 21mm Skopar and Finder a few weeks ago in Melbourne, a random guy came up to me and said, "hey, that's a really cool camera you've got there, well done" and walked off, nothing else. Felt a bit strange, but good. (I still wonder if he didn't know what it was and thought it was a Digital Leica or something).

Images
    Cameras, cars/trucks, dogs, etc...

Those with the least amount of colorful plumage will do their best to draw the most attention to the strap on plumage they have purchased.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Cameras, cars/trucks, dogs, etc...

Those with the least amount of colorful plumage will do their best to draw the most attention to the strap on plumage they have purchased.
    ROTFLMAO!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I have a Deardorff V8; I've no idea what you're talking about.
    Big block or small block?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    I know what you mean.

As for me, I usually pass for a terribly stupid guy in front of other photographers. I just have a very hard time talking about it in person. Phrases such as "Nikkor Twenty-four-Seventy eff two point eight hey-eff-ess with nano coating" and so on are just so ridiculous to me.

My pictures do the wonderful talking and that's where I win

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photography and Egos...

Whenever I get someone starting in about "gear" I just ask them if they are happy with their gear and wish them a nice day.

If I want to get into it with someone about gear I know where to go...

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    "strap on plumage"
    Sounds like a good subject for the next MSA!

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin