Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,312   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

hasselblad lenses are pretty flare resistant, right?

JUST making sure.

I was never really bothered by flare but then I did a shoot at the beach with my 2.8E (single-coated, and with a hood) and it flared under not-the-easiest lighting situations. It wasn't really THAT bad but I sometimes think about getting a Hasselblad for situations like this (beach and snow scenes).

I'm interested in the 60-120 lenses mostly. I read that the Planar design isn't really a flare-fighter but with multi-coating...maybe it is? I'd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know what's made for Hasselblad, but you can't go wrong with a tessar or triplet in regards to flare as there are fewer glass-air interfaces to cause reflection. Single coated is plenty for those lenses. A triplet isn't going to be as sharp, and a tessar probably won't be 2.8 and if it were, it wouldn't be crisp at the edges wide open, but stopped down it's great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is one of the reasons the Tessar (1902) was considered an improvement on the Planar (1896) in the era of poor coatings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Rolleiflex T is also very prone to flare if the sun hits the front lens, though it has a Tessar. From my experience, the only thing that will reduce flare dramatically is a good shade. Some years ago I´ve made a "scientific" test on slide film, using some of my Rollei lenses, single- and multicoated, with and without shades, while the sun was shining on the front lenses in a 45° angle. The result was the following: Multicoating did not really improve resistance to flare by much. Neither did the original lens shade for the 80mm Planar, though it did help a little. The by far best result was with the 250mm lens, compendium shade and mask for this lens.
    I think a Hasselblad will be more flare-resistant than a Rollei TLR, but only because there are larger shades available. The 100-250mm shade is quite large. I think a 100/3,5 CF together with this shade will reduce flare in your pictures a lot. But when used without a shade, I don´t think there will be an overwhelming difference to the Rollei. Problem with TLRs is that you can´t use huge shades since they would interfere with the viewing lens. The zoom you mentioned can only be used with the 200 or 2000 Series, but from what I´ve read, it is pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a sample of flare,

Untitled by Michael_Sergio_Barnes, on Flickr

I expected this and it really isn't really THAT bad but I'm wondering if a Hasselblad 80mm/100mm would eliminate this. The newer Rolleiflex's (GX, FN, I think that they are called) are just too expensive. But I also have an MX-EVS and I might test that for the heck of it since I own one. I don't need an f2.8 for situations like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

hasselblad lenses are pretty flare resistant, right?

Hi Michael, yeah a Hassy might do a little better but its not so bad as is. Plus a Hassy handheld under those circumstances may have not been as sharp due to camera shake and mirror slap, or may have required a faster shutter speed and/or faster film. The Rolleiflexes and their quiet and so smooth leaf shutter are so great for that kind of shooting you did there. So it's a give and take. Wonderful set, lovely woman.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My CF 150 flares some. The 80/2.8 CF doesn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had a Hasselblad 80 or 150 flare like that, but I always use a lens hood.

If you shoot in conditions like this frequently, get a Hasselblad pro lens shade, one of the bellows models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Hi Michael, yeah a Hassy might do a little better but its not so bad as is. Plus a Hassy handheld under those circumstances may have not been as sharp due to camera shake and mirror slap, or may have required a faster shutter speed and/or faster film. The Rolleiflexes and their quiet and so smooth leaf shutter are so great for that kind of shooting you did there. So it's a give and take. Wonderful set, lovely woman.
    Thank you for your compliments! I agree with you completely in the virtues of the flex and I wouldn't put down my Rolleiflex after this shoot. I like to travel light, camera-wise, and I did two shoots on a trip home in completely different lighting. My next shoot was under very poor lighting and I was forced to shoot under 1/8 - 1/15 shutter speeds and most of them turned out pretty good (camera-shake wise).

Untitled by Michael_Sergio_Barnes, on Flickr

I'm in no rush to get a Hassy, but I just wanted to know it's flare-fighting reputation for the focal lengths that I'm considering. It sounds that if I do get a Hassy that I'm better off going pro-shade?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin