Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,455   Posts: 1,570,569   Online: 829

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Caring for RB67 lens...

I originally got 65mm lens with my RB67 and after roll or two of film it quit working. KeH sent me 90mm lens as a replacement. My question is caring for the new lens so it doesn't suffer the same fate (the old one would close but not reopen for the exposure.) Is it safe to leave it attached to the body when not in use? It doesn't seem to be an issue on any of my other cameras. I there something I could have possibly done that caused the lens to fail? It seemed to fail after one shot on my third role. I do have lens cap and a back lens cap if it's not on the body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Releasing the shutter is suppose to be done when not using the lens. But I doubt if that was the reason the lens failed so quickly. Sounds like a bad unit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK...Thanks...that makes sense...takes the pressure off of it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mamiya recommends tripping the shutter and store it in uncocked state IF you are going to store it for long time. Problem is, documentation does not define what constitutes a "long time." I don't do anything special to mine.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless I'm out in the field using them all my RB67 lenses remain uncocked. It's simple and takes the pressure off, so why not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only had mine for a short while, but so far I leave it attached to the body uncocked. If it gets cocked while on the body and no picture is taken, I'll take off the back and trip the shutter, then put the back on again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't have to take the back off if you have the dark slide in place on the back. That will block exposing the film too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ised to repair RB lenses (and Blads, plus a few others) for a living, and honestly, if the lens is in good condition (in other words has had a proper service in the last few years where worn out bits like the mainspring were replaced) then it doesn't matter if it's stored cocked or uncocked.

As for "long term" storage - I'd call leaving a lens sitting in a cupboard for 6 months or more long term...

Cheers

Andrew
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your old lens may have just needed a CLA n all would have been good again.

Also these lenses like to be excersized every now n again to keep em in working good order. If you are storing for a long period of time say a few months leave it uncocked as others already recomended. On n off camera makes no difference. Store your lenses n zip loc bags with a small packet of silica to keep moisture under control.

BTW why a 90 in place of a 65? I'd rather have the 65.

Good luck with your new to you camera n burn lots of film.. so lets see some pics now?

paul
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you all for your advice! It sounds like I just got a faulty or worn out one first.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin