Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,607   Online: 817

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad 250mm chrome lens

As a new user of Hasselblad equipment, trying to judiciously add to the kit, I am wondering why there is so much difference in pricing with the older chrome and newer black 250mm lenses. The lens addition would be for a 500 C/M kit which currently includes a 60mm, 80mm and 150mm. In 35mm I'm fond of a Tamron SP 180mm f2.5 and am thinking the 250, in Hasselblad, would come close to the same look. There is a budget and I do use lens hoods. Any compelling reason to not buy the chrome lens? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going through the same thought process. The difference is cost is the difference between their age and desireability... and some will talk of the technical differences like shutter capabilities and coatings. If the chrome lens is is in good operating condition, or can be brought into good condition by a routine overhaul... then it is a good option. Only concern (and not much of a concern really) is that they take B-50 filter/hood and all of my other lenses are B-60. But there is no compeelling reason that I know of to not buy and use one. I've seen people write that they will not buy/use a chrome lens because ofhte EV interlock... but that's nuts in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    As a new user of Hasselblad equipment, trying to judiciously add to the kit, I am wondering why there is so much difference in pricing with the older chrome and newer black 250mm lenses. The lens addition would be for a 500 C/M kit which currently includes a 60mm, 80mm and 150mm. In 35mm I'm fond of a Tamron SP 180mm f2.5 and am thinking the 250, in Hasselblad, would come close to the same look. There is a budget and I do use lens hoods. Any compelling reason to not buy the chrome lens? Bill Barber
    The chrome ones usually have a simpler coating, (which can look really nice in the print, by the way). With a lens hood you probably can't tell much difference between the silver and the black T*, but without it the T* would be a little bit less susceptible to lens flare.
    Many great photographers have made many amazing portraits with an old silver 250. Either of them use the Synchro Compur shutter, for which it's almost impossible to find parts. CF and newer lenses have a good supply still, which is reflected in the price.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The lens design never changed. The single coated version should perform well if a good shade or compendium is used. Once I made a test comprising several lenses, single and multicoated, shot against the sun, and the 250/5,6 with a compendium shade and mask gave by far the best results. Without a shade, all lenses suffered from horrible flare. But make sure that the shutter is working accurate if you chose a silver lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad 250mm chrome lens

You really should use lens hoods.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin