Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,481   Online: 887

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you look at Michael Kenna's work, it's beautifully grainy. His prints are about 8x8 inches shot with a Hassy or Holga and he shoots mainly Tri-X.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ultrafine Extreme 400 is rebadged HP5+ from all the reports. Traditional (cube-grain) films are going to be grainy, you can try to fight it by using a developer like Microdol (Mic-X) to soften the grain (or at avoid grain-enhancing developers like Rodinal), or you can switch to a tabular (T-grain) film like Delta or Tmax. Do note that T-grain should be fixed for roughly twice as long as cube-grain.

Personally I think grain is part of the 400-speed film "experience", if you want perfectly smooth grain shoot 100 speed or slower. Acros (T-grain) is practically grainless even in 35mm and subjected to Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMD View Post
    Ultrafine Extreme 400 is rebadged HP5+ from all the reports. Traditional (cube-grain) films are going to be grainy, you can try to fight it by using a developer like Microdol (Mic-X) to soften the grain (or at avoid grain-enhancing developers like Rodinal), or you can switch to a tabular (T-grain) film like Delta or Tmax. Do note that T-grain should be fixed for roughly twice as long as cube-grain.

Personally I think grain is part of the 400-speed film "experience", if you want perfectly smooth grain shoot 100 speed or slower. Acros (T-grain) is practically grainless even in 35mm and subjected to Rodinal.
    Ilford does not sell the 'Ilford' emulsions to be re-badged. They have even publicly stated so. If you have the cash, though, they will happily make film for you, but it will not be HP5+ and rebranded.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From what I've read, it may not be HP5+ itself but it does seem to be both made by Ilford and at least based on HP5+ (a tweaked version wouldn't strictly violate "no licensing an Ilford emulsion"). The development times are the same, the base is pretty similar (dries flat like HP5 but has a blue tint), the packaging is Ilford right down to the fonts.

The odds of two independently developed films being *that* similar seems staggeringly low. Ilford can protest however they like, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Characteristics of 120 ASA 400 BW

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMD View Post
    From what I've read, it may not be HP5+ itself but it does seem to be both made by Ilford and at least based on HP5+ (a tweaked version wouldn't strictly violate "no licensing an Ilford emulsion"). The development times are the same, the base is pretty similar (dries flat like HP5 but has a blue tint), the packaging is Ilford right down to the fonts.

The odds of two independently developed films being *that* similar seems staggeringly low. Ilford can protest however they like, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
    I believe it when I see evidence.

As stated before, Ilford has stated publicly that they don't do OEM re-branding of existing emulsions. But it may very well be a film specifically made for Photo Warehouse.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Characteristics of 120 ASA 400 BW

Yea ilford said they USED TO but decided that the type of people who buy the film do it because they KNOW its ilford and so they were only undercutting themselves and decided from now on not to do that.

So going forward they no longer do it

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin