Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,162   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Characteristics of 120 ASA 400 BW

Hey guys,

I developed some ASA 400 BW film last night. Is the characteristics of the 400 tend be a little grainy? I would of figured being larger format, it would been a finer. Still happy with the results, just curious.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Todd,

Generally, faster films tend to be grainier (is that even a word?) but how grainy (real grain or apparent) depends so much on developer combo, processing conditions and temperature, even things like scene contrast.

I guess MF sizes vs. 35mm should show less grain for the same enlargement factor - but again, depends on which MF size (therefore how much bigger the negative is vs. 35mm) and all of the above, including additional things like enlarger type, lens, paper etc...
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which film, developer, etc.? What makes you say that it is grainy? Did you enlarge it, or did you scan it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Which film? It does vary. Ilford HP5+ is more grainy than say Delta 400 or TMax 400 which is amazing for a 400 film.

In MF and unless you are looking at the negative under a high powered magnifier I am surprised you see grain.

Even in a print, most 400 MF films will show little grain up to say 11x14 but essentially faster films tend to produce grain clumping.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are we talking 645 or 6x12? "Medium Format" spans quite a range of neg areas.

In my experience with 6x7, HP5 will show grain at 12x16" from 6x7, whereas TMY2 will show practically none at 16x20". Fomapan 400 is far grainier than both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is grain. Sometimes it's not enlarged enough to be visible to the naked eye. It varies greatly from film to film, though, where TMax 400 is by far the finest grained one, and HP5+ and Foma 400 at the other end showing similar grain. If you scan your film, grain will be accentuated by aliasing in most scanners.
    But don't be either discouraged or encouraged by grain. Just let it be, live with it, and embrace it. In the words of Neil Gaiman: "Make good art".
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are you looking at a print or a negative?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which film, developer, etc.? What makes you say that it is grainy? Did you enlarge it, or did you scan it

Photo Ware Ultrafine Extreme series 120 ASA 400. Scanned on my Epson V600 scanner. developed D-76 1to1 68 degree for 12:00 min Noticing grain in bald sky.

ToddB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Characteristics of 120 ASA 400 BW

Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Which film, developer, etc.? What makes you say that it is grainy? Did you enlarge it, or did you scan it

Photo Ware Ultrafine Extreme series 120 ASA 400. Scanned on my Epson V600 scanner. developed D-76 1to1 68 degree for 12:00 min Noticing grain in bald sky.

ToddB
    Well your first issue is not using Kodak/ilford film :-p hahaha

I know some of the B brand film is sometimes known to be other film, but if you want quality, buy quality films like tmax400 or Delta400 which are fine T-grain films. Tonality may be different than "traditional grain" films but will be much finer than 400TX or HP5+

Test a few out, spend $20, buy 1 roll of each and test each out to see.

Also work on your developing technique, the more extreme the agitation, the grainier it may be, if you're more gentile and less agitation you'll have a finer grain.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post

ToddB
    It is what it is. You would get less grain with TMax 400, if it's important to you.

Scanning film and looking at it on screen will give you the impression of more grain than looking at a print made with an enlarger.

Personally, I really enjoy the grain and think it adds nice character to the prints. You may not share my opinion, but the fact remains that no matter how hard you try to minimize it, the grain will always be there.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin