Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,985   Online: 691

Shooter
    Medium Format

Aperture ring on a Fuji GW690 - How hard to turn?

I took a hard look this weekend at a Fuji GW690 (1978 model) from a dealer I trust who said it was recently CLA'd. However, the aperture ring was difficult to turn. I did not purchase the camera because of this.

How hard should the aperture ring be to turn on a GW690? I'm comparing it to what I know best: Nikon AIS and Pentax 67 lenses. Your advise is most welcome.

Kris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should be no harder than what you are used to on the Nikon an Pentax. Maybe it's just a simple fix that's needed but I'd question the recent CLA. Did you ask the dealer about the issue?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did I ask the dealer about it? Yes, and he assured me it was normal. I trust the dealer's word, but did not buy because of this issue.

Kris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would ask the dealer to send it back to the repairer who did the C.L.A. and have him slacken off the aperture ring as a condition of sale.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On the one I owned, the ring turned smoothly. It wasn't single finger rolling back and forth, but I wouldn't even think of using the word 'difficult' for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aperture ring on a Fuji GW690 - How hard to turn?

It should turn very smoothly. But that does not mean the CLA was bad. It could just be a very old and worn camera. I have a 50/1.5 Summarit that I acquired quite cheaply but with a stiff but not unusable aperture ring. I sent it to DAG for CLA. he did the work but reported back it was as loose as it was ever going to be because it was so old and worn.

Personally I'd take pass on this one unless you plan to use for slow and methodical studio or landscape work. For street or documentary style portraits or photos I cannot imagine working with such a stiff aperture ring.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    On the one I owned, the ring turned smoothly. It wasn't single finger rolling back and forth, but I wouldn't even think of using the word 'difficult' for it.
    This is probably the best description and comparable to my own experiences using a Fuji GW690II.

Christian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin