Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,862   Online: 1096

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RZ 75mm Shift shutter stuck?

Hi guys!
    I got a Mamiya RZ system last weekend and so far nearly everything worked out well Nearly: Sometimes the shutter of the 75mm shift seems stuck.. I take 3 or 5 shots which work perfectly and then the camera can't be cocked and and after one minute the camera *beeps* and the shutter *clicks* shut. After that it sometimes works normal again for 3-5 shots or the problems remains..
    May there be a battery problem or is something in the lens stuck? I ordered new batteries but maybe one of you may help as they're not here yet The other lenses work perfectly..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Assuming you're not using a cable release on the lens, check that where the cable release screws into the lens is fully retracted. If it's not (if there is the tiniest hint of red ring showing), the lens is waiting for you to press a release cable on the lens. You can check this - when it hangs up, put a cable in and press it. If that fires the lens, then that's your problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sounds like a battery issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's lens issue, check your cable release socket.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PS you can check battery life (I don't think that's the problem) by putting the darkslide in and pressing the shutter. If the red light is solid, the battery is good. If it flashes, it's getting low... but the fact that it manages to trip the shutter after 1 minute implies that the battery is strong enough. Even with the flashing red light, there's possibly tens of rolls left in the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The shutter of the lens works, when it's not mounted. I tried it several times this morning manually. The battery has 5.5V - 5.7V left, should be OK I think..
    So the lens on its own works and the camera on its own works (with other lenses). I'll try cleaning all the contacts when I'm back home and see if the problem is there.
    The cable release socket shows no red stripe. Only, of course, when the cable release is attached. I'll also try the cable release tonight, I didn't do that yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It should show a red stripe when the release is inserted and no red stripe when removed. Even if it's showing none, the socket might not be fully screwed back in which will cause the symptoms you're seeing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    New battery with 6.3V shows the same symptoms. But i found out, that if i wait some time between the shots (like 40sec-1min) everything works fine. And if i shoot to fast with any other lens the camera also gets stuck sometimes. So it maybe is just a 'problem' of usability, but i don't think it'll occur in the field, because maybe I'll never shoot that fast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It should show a red stripe when the release is inserted and no red stripe when removed. Even if it's showing none, the socket might not be fully screwed back in which will cause the symptoms you're seeing.
    The silver socket is just a hint (less than 1mm) showing. It looks just the same as on other pictures I found via google.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the battery is tested without a load, it may show enough V to work.
    But.
    I has to be tested under load. That's why battery testers have resistors in them, to provide that load.
    The pause between shots may just be enough to allow the battery to continue working.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin