Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,991   Posts: 1,524,212   Online: 1132

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i recently bought a Pentax 645, i had been looking at them years ago, but read a few bad reviews, and heard the the 645N/NII were the ones to get, but they were more than i wanted to spend.
    well i bought one anyway, maybe paid AU$250ish with a 75mm 2.8.
    anyways, i love it.
    buttons aren't an issue, the viewfinder is bright enough.

my dilemma now is, do i want another lens! 45mm or 150mm...
    my photo blog;
    www.jamesruff.net
    Flickr
    35mm/6x4.5/6x6/6x7/6x17/4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 645 in question (the one mentioned by the OP) is overpriced. You should be able to get the body and 75mm lens for about $200-$250.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have two 645s, both purchased well used. I love them - completely reliable and I am shooting them more and more all the time. I am accustomed to the buttons to change fxns and shutter speeds. A feature that, to me, absolutely RULES is tripod mount on two different sides so you can mount for horizontal and vertical shooting with ease. I don't really use their meters much but could without worry, they seem to be spot-on. And I really dig the glass, I have 55mm, 75mm, and 150mm and use the 75mm 80% of the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    well, guys, thanks for all the answers. I don't think the buttons will be that big of a deal since I prefer landscapes / cityscapes, and wont really need to use the dials to quickly change between shutter speeds and ISO's, and any portraits I do will be done in controlled lighting situations. Unfortunately, the one I was looking at sold, and I wasn't the buyer. I'll be on the lookout for another one, and hopefully it'll be a few $$$ cheaper, since that seems to be the consensus for the regular 645
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at KEH to see what they're getting for them, remembering that they grade condition very conservatively, so the EX grade is usually fairly close to flawless, and BGN is usually what some ebay sellers would call "minty". For sure don't pay more than what they want for a camera in truly comparable condition.
    I'm surprised at the prices for the original 645. They seem to have gone up quite a bit over a few years ago, when I last monitored KEH's prices on them.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hang out on Pentax Forum. There is a body listed right now for $125 and plenty of lenses for sale. I've bought and sold almost all all my Pentax stuff over there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    i recently bought a Pentax 645, i had been looking at them years ago, but read a few bad reviews, and heard the the 645N/NII were the ones to get, but they were more than i wanted to spend.
    well i bought one anyway, maybe paid AU$250ish with a 75mm 2.8.
    anyways, i love it.
    buttons aren't an issue, the viewfinder is bright enough.

my dilemma now is, do i want another lens! 45mm or 150mm...
    There is nothing wrong with the 645N. The big advantage of the NII is that it is newer.

I owned the 150mm FA, 120mm FA macro, 75mm FA and the manual focus 35mm. They were all great lenses. I have read that the 45mm lenses were a little soft. You might do your research before you buy one.

Anyone with experience with the 45mm?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I rate the viewfinder of my P645N above all the other cameras I've got or have owned, and this includes Nikon F5, D300, Pentax LX. The ergonomics of the camera are really superb. The one lens I have for it is the SMC-A 35mm f/3.5, also superlative (one of the sharpest optics going, at any price, and this one was cheap). If there's a mechanical weak link it's been that the shutter dial has popped off a couple of times, I glued it back on; there's a fellow selling shutter dials new for under $25 on ebay.
    P645N doesn't like to run off of NiMH rechargeables, which AA batteries I use with practically everything else. So instead I use lithium cells and they last quite a few rolls and a long time.
    The slow shutter sync speed can be an issue if you do portraiture... 1/60th. The P67 is worse at 1/30, dreadful, actually, outdoors. There are a couple of leaf lenses for each that sync to 1/500.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here in Tokyo the 645N is readily available for about $250 or less. And most of the lenses are less than $100 if they are the A series. The ones that cost more are the 35mm, the 45mm, the 300mm and the zooms.

Alan asked about the 45mm. I too have read a few things here and there but had pretty good luck with it. Nevertheless, when a low priced 35mm came along I was more than happy to trade in the 45mm. Now I have the 35mm, 55mm, 75mm, 120mm, 150mm and 200mm.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the 645N. The big advantage of the NII is that it is newer.
    I never said there was?
    I said the 645N and 645NII were recommended over the 645.
    And while they might be newer and better, there is nothing wrong with the original.
    my photo blog;
    www.jamesruff.net
    Flickr
    35mm/6x4.5/6x6/6x7/6x17/4x5

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin