Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,773   Online: 1033

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Yeah, for my own purposes I don't use the term at all, just so I can avoid irritating those who have heard it so much that they just want to return their lunch from their stomachs back to the open air... That's not entirely true, but my personal opinion doesn't matter much.

However, I do opine that the term bokeh is unfortunate from a standpoint of enjoying photography, because I often think wide open shallow depth of field pictures to be extremely cliche and adds no value to the final print. But at the same time that is very lucky for me, because I can purchase some very good lenses for almost nothing because of it, so why complain?!
    The one thing that does bother me about the use of the term is the misapprehension on the part of some folks who seem to think that it is synonymous with shallow depth-of-field - in order to have pleasing bokeh an image must be shot at or near wide open. Which is patently not true. It's about the quality of out of focus areas, not the quantity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Oh and I'm no bokeh expert but Mamiya's reputation is not the best.
    That is true for the 75 and 80 lenses for Mamiya 6 and 7. But the 150/4.5 lenses (for both models) give very nice OOF rendering.

One example with Mamiya 6 with 150/4.5 wide open at medium distance:

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Then why don't you enlighten me as to the correct word?
    Rendition means the interpretation or reenactment of a score of music

To translate something - as in from one language to another.

Or in ancient language, to surrender.

None of which describe what you're talking about.

If you're going to mock proper terminology and then make up your own to be more "clear" you should at least use words properly in your descriptions.

And yes it was a little snide, possibly uncalled for, still, I was more busting your balls. I don't have a better term than Bokah because that's the best term for what it is. You COULD say the out of focus area of an image, but that wouldn't fully encompass what Bokah is. It's like the Inuit telling us what kind of snow is falling, and us trying to say its "fluffy snow" which wouldn't properly describe the type of snow because their word for the type of snow is very specific.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The one thing that does bother me about the use of the term is the misapprehension on the part of some folks who seem to think that it is synonymous with shallow depth-of-field - in order to have pleasing bokeh an image must be shot at or near wide open. Which is patently not true. It's about the quality of out of focus areas, not the quantity.
    Yes, how many times do you hear or read the term in the same sentence as f/11?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Rendition means the interpretation or reenactment of a score of music

To translate something - as in from one language to another.

Or in ancient language, to surrender.

None of which describe what you're talking about.

If you're going to mock proper terminology and then make up your own to be more "clear" you should at least use words properly in your descriptions.

And yes it was a little snide, possibly uncalled for, still, I was more busting your balls. I don't have a better term than Bokah because that's the best term for what it is. You COULD say the out of focus area of an image, but that wouldn't fully encompass what Bokah is. It's like the Inuit telling us what kind of snow is falling, and us trying to say its "fluffy snow" which wouldn't properly describe the type of snow because their word for the type of snow is very specific.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    To translate something. Yes, that's just about exactly what I meant.

You're very full of yourself, aren't you? Here, see if you can translate this: "Ma gavte la nata". And while you're at it, get a better dictionary. I recommend the Second Webster's Unabridged, The Oxford, or the Third Webster's Unabridged.

Have a lovely day.

Post Scriptum - You misspelled "Bokeh". Twice.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I love walking around on a rainy day with high-speed film and a Nikon with an 85/1.4 tucked under my
    parka, often shot wide open. I briefly become a "bokeh" maniac on such days. But 95% of the time, I'm shooting sheet film as sharp as I can get it. I judge the results by the print itself, and couldn't care less how or when the term itself is used, or if it even existed in the first place.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I love walking around on a rainy day with high-speed film and a Nikon with an 85/1.4 tucked under my
    parka, often shot wide open. I briefly become a "bokeh" maniac on such days. But 95% of the time, I'm shooting sheet film as sharp as I can get it. I judge the results by the print itself, and couldn't care less how or when the term itself is used, or if it even existed in the first place.
    Shooting wide open is just shooting wide open. It isn't being a bokeh fanatic by shooting wide open (see me earlier post). If the lens you're shooting with exhibits "good" bokeh, then you have some very pleasing out-of-focus areas. If not, then they look like a six-bean-chili-and-Colt-Malt-Liquor fart. You should care about the rendering of your OOFAs (how about that as a term to replace bokeh? POOFAS [Pleasing Out-Of-Focus Areas]? or more precisely, QoOOFA [Quality of Out Of Focus Areas]. Try to pronounce QoOOFA and suddenly Bokeh is a lot more appealing), regardless of the aperture selected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If the lens you're shooting with exhibits "good" bokeh, then you have some very pleasing out-of-focus areas. If not, then they look like a six-bean-chili-and-Colt-Malt-Liquor fart.
    Dang!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They still make Colt Malt Liquor?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    They still make Colt Malt Liquor?
    Billy Dee Williams is still alive...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin