Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,631   Online: 803

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    What does "navel gazing" mean?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    In this context, losing sight of one's priorities by over-intellectualizing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Personally, if I find myself navel gazing a photography term, it's generally high time I pulled my head out and go make some negatives. Ymmv.
    If only I could... APUG is a relief from a combination of school work and work work overload. If I could actually spare some real length of time to go outside and do something with a camera, I would be a much happier person.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Omphaloskepsis.
    Haha nice, see, words are useful

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Careful, deliberate contemplation, among other things.
    Thanks Matt

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Haha nice, see, words are useful

Thanks Matt

Here's one of my favorites: "parablepsy". B0&#h is related to parablepsy.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 04-25-2013 at 11:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I should mention the true story of the etymology of bokeh. It all began with a rude rare lens dealer in
    Brooklyn, who specialized in optics with unusual out-of-focus characteristics. If anyone phoned to ask
    the price, he'd reply, "Yeh wanna be broke, eh?" So these started being known as "brokeh" lenses. Since
    the Japanese don't have a sound for "r", this was simply contracted to "bokeh". Analogously, the Aussies pronounce it "breykey", and the French "breukeaux". Meanwhile, the pronunciation has continued to degrade in Brooklyn itself, where it now pronounced, "beahhhkay".

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I should mention the true story of the etymology of bokeh. It all began with a rude rare lens dealer in
    Brooklyn, who specialized in optics with unusual out-of-focus characteristics. If anyone phoned to ask
    the price, he'd reply, "Yeh wanna be broke, eh?" So these started being known as "brokeh" lenses. Since
    the Japanese don't have a sound for "r", this was simply contracted to "bokeh". Analogously, the Aussies pronounce it "breykey", and the French "breukeaux". Meanwhile, the pronunciation has continued to degrade in Brooklyn itself, where it now pronounced, "beahhhkay".
    I don't know if I believe that story....

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Here's one of my favorites: "parablepsy". B0&#h is related to parablepsy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post

That is a strange piece of writing.
    For those who have any interest in it at all (not many!), Australians pronounce it as boke'–. I should know, I am Australian!
    Where did you get the "breykey" from (it sounds truer to what we call "brekkie"/ breakfast)? Or, quelle horreur, the French "breukeuax"??
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drew just wanted to give some background to bokeh. So of course, the more fuzzy and indistinct, the better.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think Drew was being a comedian.

It is a Japanese word (Romaji: boke; pronounced as two syllables, soft vowels in both), the literal translation being "blur". Us westerners like to append the h so that other ignorant roundeyes don't pronounce it as rhyming with broke.

You can verify that by asking a native Japanese speaker if you like...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin