Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,559   Online: 1293

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I think Drew was being a comedian.
    Yep. But remember, our antipodean friend is reading it upside down.

It is a Japanese word (Romaji: boke; pronounced as two syllables, soft vowels in both), the literal translation being "blur". Us westerners like to append the h so that other ignorant roundeyes don't pronounce it as rhyming with broke.
    Which is why I don't like it. It's awkward to say and awkward to use.
    At best it gets pronounced bokay or bokuh, because in English an "eh" on the end of of a word is never pronounced like the "e" in "end".
    So: to describe a property of lenses, Mike Johnston introduced a word that no one understood the meaning of, and which no English speaker would know how to pronounce properly, and might not be able to even after having it explained. Further, the property is judged subjectively, ensuring that there would be misuse whenever his intended exact meaning of the word is not understood.

Johnston's attempt to bring clarity to a concept by introducing a standard word for it instead created a muddled linguistic and conceptual mess.
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-26-2013 at 02:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My niece is a Japanese teacher/translator as part of International Baccalaureate Program, Australia-Japan. But having told her about the origin of the word she has never heard of it (maybe because she is not a photographer). "Never mind, never mind...".
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Yep. But remember, our antipodean friend is reading it upside down.

Which is why I don't like it. It's awkward to say and awkward to use.
    At best it gets pronounced bokay or bokuh, because in English an "eh" on the end of of a word is never pronounced like the "e" in "end".
    So: to describe a property of lenses, Mike Johnston introduced a word that no one understood the meaning of, and which no English speaker would know how to pronounce properly, and might not be able to even after having it explained. Further, the property is judged subjectively, ensuring that there would be misuse whenever his intended exact meaning of the word is not understood.

Johnston's attempt to bring clarity to a concept by introducing a standard word for it instead created a muddled linguistic and conceptual mess.
    Amen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I think this Johnston guy was probably a very smart man at linguistics and poetry, and knew exactly what he was doing.
    There's no "real" definition of bokeh, certainly no real definition of what's good and what's bad bokeh.
    By introducing a word with no set pronunciation to a concept with no real definition, he's holding up a mirror to our own understanding of the entire world.
    Pretty much in the same way that Claude Lévi-Strauss was talking about 'floating signifiers', something that has no meaning and thus can receive any meaning, as does the word bokeh have no pronunciation and thus can receive any pronunciation.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well... (fact this time around)... long before this term, cut-rate wedding photographers who couldn't
    afford fancy lenses had a different term for it: Vaseline.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Pretty much in the same way that Claude Lévi-Strauss was talking about 'floating signifiers', something that has no meaning and thus can receive any meaning, as does the word bokeh have no pronunciation and thus can receive any pronunciation.
    Ok, then my pronunciation is "stupid word choice".
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format

My 2 cents on the Bokeh, love every camera

Pentax 67II
    Pentax 67 SMC 105mm F/2.4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pentax_67II_Bokeh.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	922.7 KB 
ID:	71690

Olympus OM-1n
    Zuiko 65-200mm F/4

Name:	Olympus_OM1_Bokeh.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	746.9 KB 
ID:	71691

Yashica Lynx 14E
    Yashinon-DX 45mm f/1.4

Name:	Yashica_Lynx_14E_Bokeh.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	828.9 KB 
ID:	71692

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading this backwards reveals some beautiful background blur.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin