Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,275   Online: 935

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Normally they tell you to double the focal length of a lens that you use with a 35mm camera to get what you want with a 6x7 camera. Of course this is an approximation.
    <snip>
    I'm no lens expert but from my understanding, Bokeh is determined by the lens aperture. The more aperture blades a lens has, the more circular the aperture. Lenses with great Bokeh have a very circular aperture.
    Alan, agreed on the first point. 55mm f/1.8 on 35mm film looks a lot like 105mm f/2.4 on 6x7.

Agreed somewhat on second point, the aperture blades only factor in when you're using them. Some lenses don't have smooth/nice bokeh even when wide open.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some lenses don't have smooth/nice bokeh even when wide open.
    Yes that´s true. The aperture geometry is just responsible for the highlight discs but it has nothing to do with the overall quality of the bokeh.
    And even if you have a lens with pentagonal or hexagonal aperture shape you can easily avoid showing it by choosing an uniform background without any backlight sources, e.g. the sky or a distant wall. But if you shoot against a tree with the sun gleaming trough all its branches, you will have dozens of them in the bokeh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    From my understanding, the definition of Bokeh is the bright out of focus areas of the background which would be controlled by lens aperture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, You could always mount a pre war lens from a Folder camera on a bellows with an adaptor on your Canon. The lenses are pretty cheap and you could do a lot of experimenting with bokeh and dof. Good Luck, Henk.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post

Agreed somewhat on second point, the aperture blades only factor in when you're using them. Some lenses don't have smooth/nice bokeh even when wide open.
    Yeah, you are right about the aperture blades not affecting bokeh when shooting wide open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You're correct Sir

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You mean field or angle of view, not perspective. Perspective depends solely upon one's point or position of view, regardless of format and focal length. Also, since the aspect ratio of 35mm is 3:2 and the aspect ratio of 6x7 is 7:6, focal length/field of view comparisons don't really work.

I'm not really sure what the OP is asking.
    Yes I meant field or angle of view. And yes, 35mm is slightly wider than 6x7 format. It's just an approximation.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Yes I meant field or angle of view. And yes, 35mm is slightly wider than 6x7 format.
    Which is why 50mm- 58mm is considered normal instead of 43mm.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I'd argue that in most circles the diagonal of the film is the determent factor in defining "normal" not focal length..

35mm=~43mm
    6X6cm=~100mm
    6X9=~110mm
    4X5"=135mm etc.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I'd argue that in most circles the diagonal of the film is the determent factor in defining "normal" not focal length..

35mm=~43mm
    6X6cm=~100mm
    6X9=~110mm
    4X5"=135mm etc.
    Yes. What makes the 50mm range appear "normal", and a 43mm seem slightly wide, is the format. The 3:2 ratio of width to height makes the 135 frame look wider than 5:4, 4:3, or 1:1.
    This is most obvious with panoramic formats. My 645, in full format of 42X56 gives a very different "look" than with the 35mm pano back with the same lens. The image with the pano back can even give the appearance of being a wide shot with the 75mm lens, a "short telephoto" length on the 135 format and "normal" on the 645.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

As for me..

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    My eyeballs see a bit wider than 50mm focal length. I think my vision is more between 35-43mm. Sometimes, 50mm makes my shots feel tighter than what I see. 35mm lens feels more natural for me. Love the Bokeh of my 50mm 1.4 wide open though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin