Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,388   Online: 1111

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jargon like leaf shutter or aperture? Every field uses jargon and in fields of science for example when much of the work is done by people in non English speaking countries, non English words become the accepted terms or labels rather than saying for example hills with ice cored created by hydrostatic pressure the word Pingo is used. You may not know what a Pingo is but almost all geomorphologists would. Many of the terms used by photographers are totally unnecessary to be know by the clients. But using a single or two word term to explain what otherwise takes 7 words is communications in my mind. I think if you dissected the terminology used in all aspects of photography you would find many words that we take for granted but non users would think of as jargon. What is a safe light may be a simple example. Perhaps due to the term being foreign, new and is pronouced as an existing word that means something totally different is one of the reasons bokeh is trashed. I do not see how renditioned our of focus area has any more meaning to a non photographer or is a better means of communicating with a photographer. I probably do not use the word myself but I think I know what everyone means when they say it and can visualize the effect on the image. To me that is communitcations.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Well, it's been demonstrated that at least some medicine is a waste of time, if not actively harmful. I imagine that, confronted with a layman who flings misused medical terms about, the average doctor would think him/her a pretentious bore at best.

I've found fools uneducable, and I don't use the term "bokeh". Instead, I use the words "rendition of out of focus areas" which are accurate, self explanatory, and at least somewhat understandable to the unitiated. The purpose of language is communication, jargon is understood only by the elect. I personally find jargon annoying.
    "Rendition" is the completely wrong word FYI

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just thought i'd share some information, that SOME people have probably not seen.

1. history of the term bokeh... and why it is pronounced the way it is... and who made the decision to name it such

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...04-04-04.shtml

2. another article/blog referencing some history, and issues touched in this thread

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/02/11/what-is-bokeh/

3. very important article referenced in the above link, one could say, the one that started it all, kind of.

http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/ATVB.pdf

Make sure you read the article (No. 3 LINK)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    "Rendition" is the completely wrong word FYI

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then why don't you enlighten me as to the correct word?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Rendering" might be more strictly correct, but the snideness was unwarranted IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    Jargon like leaf shutter or aperture? Every field uses jargon and in fields of science for example when much of the work is done by people in non English speaking countries, non English words become the accepted terms or labels rather than saying for example hills with ice cored created by hydrostatic pressure the word Pingo is used. You may not know what a Pingo is but almost all geomorphologists would. Many of the terms used by photographers are totally unnecessary to be know by the clients. But using a single or two word term to explain what otherwise takes 7 words is communications in my mind. I think if you dissected the terminology used in all aspects of photography you would find many words that we take for granted but non users would think of as jargon. What is a safe light may be a simple example. Perhaps due to the term being foreign, new and is pronouced as an existing word that means something totally different is one of the reasons bokeh is trashed. I do not see how renditioned our of focus area has any more meaning to a non photographer or is a better means of communicating with a photographer. I probably do not use the word myself but I think I know what everyone means when they say it and can visualize the effect on the image. To me that is communitcations.
    "Leaf shutter" and "aperture" are not jargon, but specific terms. Just like "pallet arbor" and "escape pinion" are to a watchmaker.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Leaf shutter" and "aperture" are not jargon, but specific terms. Just like "pallet arbor" and "escape pinion" are to a watchmaker.
    Better example then- f-stop instead of lens aperture. Or Scheimpflug principle. Scheimpflug principle is something that once understood, two words is sufficient to encapsulate the concept, but when not understood, requires an entire Wikipedia entry to explain. And even if you dumb it down for a layperson to "the understanding of how to control vertical and horizontal planes of focus to correct for converging vertical lines", they will probably start tuning out at "vertical and horizontal planes".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Better example then- f-stop instead of lens aperture. Or Scheimpflug principle. Scheimpflug principle is something that once understood, two words is sufficient to encapsulate the concept, but when not understood, requires an entire Wikipedia entry to explain. And even if you dumb it down for a layperson to "the understanding of how to control vertical and horizontal planes of focus to correct for converging vertical lines", they will probably start tuning out at "vertical and horizontal planes".
    F stop is another term specific to photography, and with a tiny bit of explanation is easily understood by anyone who cares to. Scheimpfulg principle, that's also explicable (but better demonstrated) to anyone who cares to know, but I'll point out that there are many who call themselves "photographer" who don't understand it - just like "bokeh.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have used the Scheimpflug principle to correctly photograph relict periglacial features caused by pingos. But under such circumstances one does not apply bokeh. That is the kind of distinction one learns when they are trained as both a geomorphologist and a photographer. By contrast, a wedding
    photographer might be concerned about bokeh, while it would be considered rude to toss the bride into
    a supercooled permafrost meltwater pool at the center of a pingo. She might remain well preserved and
    quiet for a long,long time, but as a photographer, you might not get much repeat business.

Shooter
    Large Format
    F stop is another term specific to photography, and with a tiny bit of explanation is easily understood by anyone who cares to. Scheimpfulg principle, that's also explicable (but better demonstrated) to anyone who cares to know, but I'll point out that there are many who call themselves "photographer" who don't understand it - just like "bokeh.
    So what is different between terms specific to a field and jargon?
    The third definition of Jargon from the Free Online Dictionary

3. The specialized or technical language of a trade, profession, or similar group

Why is it that more difficult concepts can be explained but bokeh cannot be or is not real? Sorry but I do not understand.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin