Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,147   Online: 876

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bokeh! 35mm vs 6x7

I enjoy taking certain types of pictures with very thin DOF but also enjoy smooth out of focus areas. At the moment I am having great fun playing around with a Canon EOS 3 and 50mm f1.8 lens. I don't like too narrow a FL which is why I keep to 50mm. I was thinking of buying a Canon 50mm f1.2 lens, but as this is around £1100 I started to browse MF forums out of curiosity. It seems the Mamiya 7 series is very popular and 120 film is still easy to get and process, but the lenses don't see to go more open then f4.5 (which is f2.2 on 35mm equiv.) So it seems that I will not gain much in DOF by going to MF, in fact loose some DOF. I would welcome any interesting comments on this point.
    Leica M7
    Sony A7S
    http://harold.co.il

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The larger the format the longer the lens for the same given perspective. So if you have a longer lens for a larger 6x7 format, you have shallower DOF. A "normal" lens for a 35mm piece of film is 50mm while for 6x7 format piece of film requires a 90mm lens roughly. You will lose DOF with a 6x7, not gain.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may find some medium format lenses give distinctive out-of-focus rendering that doesn't always conform to the current notions of 'perfect' bokeh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    The larger the format the longer the lens for the same given perspective. So if you have a longer lens for a larger 6x7 format, you have shallower DOF. A "normal" lens for a 35mm piece of film is 50mm while for 6x7 format piece of film requires a 90mm lens roughly. You will lose DOF with a 6x7, not gain.
    Thanks. so are you saying that a 6x7 lens of 100mm f4 would be equivalent to a 35mm lens of 50mm f2, but the 6x7 lens wold still provide less DOF ?
    Leica M7
    Sony A7S

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by artobest View Post
    You may find some medium format lenses give distinctive out-of-focus rendering that doesn't always conform to the current notions of 'perfect' bokeh.
    That has also peaked my interest
    Leica M7
    Sony A7S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was looking for the "perfect" bokeh and bought a LensBaby. Didn't workout. I sold it. I'm still wanting a Petzval lens, but it's out of my budget. Sure makes a beautiful swirly blur.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    A Pentax 6x7/67/67II with a 105mm f/2.4 would be similar to a 50mm f/1.1 (roughly), I've recently just got my P67 kit together and love the size over smaller 35mm cameras. I have big hands so an EOS 3 + grip is more comfortable than just the body.

You might want to look at the FD 50mm f/1.2L or Asph with an F1/A1/AE1 if you stick with 35mm as the f/1.2 lenses are much cheaper in manual focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DOF and perspective are two different things

Quote Originally Posted by colonel View Post
    Thanks. so are you saying that a 6x7 lens of 100mm f4 would be equivalent to a 35mm lens of 50mm f2, but the 6x7 lens wold still provide less DOF ?
    I'm saying that the perspective of a 6x7 camera with a 90mm lens is about the same perspective as a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera. The only difference is that the 6x7 camera with a 90mm lens has less depth of field than a 50mm at the same focused distance. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think any MF lens matches an 50mm f1.2 outside of maybe the contax 80mm f2 (645)or Hasselblad 110mm f2 (6x6), but both I think are incredibly expensive as well as the supporting cameras. For thinnest DOF for the money, then I think that you would want to go with the Pentax 67 105mm f2.4.

But personally, I don't think super thin DOF is necessary and MF bokeh is incredibly smooth. I have an 80mm f2.8 lens but I prefer a little more DOF so I shoot at f4-f5.6 if light permits.

Untitled by Michael_Sergio_Barnes, on Flickr

11 by Michael_Sergio_Barnes, on Flickr
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh and I'm no bokeh expert but Mamiya's reputation is not the best.
    Michael | tumblr

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin