Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,978   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    from what i understand porter's went out of business ..
    They went to online only, not closed. I ordered a bulk roll of Tmax 100 from them when they were running a special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a septic system at my house. I've read here on APUG that there is probably enough sulfide to bind the silver into insoluble silver sulfide and I don't doubt that but have nevertheless decided to "play it safe". I'm not a chemist, and that ignorance factors into my decision not to gamble with the groundwater my family drinks or the functioning of my septic system. I am perhaps being slightly overcautious, but it's no trouble at all, so who cares?

I've asked around at the one local film photography store and the local photography club and there are no photo labs or anyone else in the area who still take used fixer for recycling, so that's not an option where I live.

However there is a convenient hazardous waste disposal program in my county. They specifically do take used photo chemicals. They take up to 5 gallons per visit, it's drive-thru and only takes a minute, and I drive by there several times a week anyway. It's simply no trouble and I've spent more time reading/writing about fixer disposal on APUG than it actually takes to do it ( a gallon dropped off every few months ). Not much more time than it's taking me to type this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like NedL above, I take it up to our local hazardous waste disposal facility every couple of months. It takes very little time, costs nothing, and I believe it's better for the environment and local water treatment plants. I would not dump it down the drain.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't done more than 2 gallons probably. But good to know. Since I've gotten back to traditional Photography, that part I forgot about. just trying to find a small portable storage container that will fit horizonal under my sink to pour into.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    from what i understand porter's went out of business ..
    I just ordered and received a silver magnet from them a couple months ago...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    They went to online only, not closed. I ordered a bulk roll of Tmax 100 from them when they were running a special.
    ah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Down the sink.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I drink mine!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use mine as salad dressing.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I drink mine!

Jeff
    Some orange juice and cranberry juice really fixes it up.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin